DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was thinking about upgrading my truck with an Optima. but then i was also wondering about a higher amp alternater and maybe dual batteries? does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this and how well would the original wiring harness hold up?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have an Optima Red Top i ran in another vehicle. It was awesome for a year. my wife always leaves the dome lights n stuff on so it would almost kill the battery. But that Optima always had just enough to fire it back up. After a year it finally had a bad cell but I was able to get another one free of charge cause it has a 3 year replacement. If you get one I would say get a yellow top. I hear they are better. Good batteries all around in my eyes.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
I had my first Yellow Top for 6 years. Then a cell went bad.... I locked myself out of the truck with the a/c, radio, and lights on. Wasn't able to get back in for a couple hours (LONG STORY!) But I bought a new one, and I love it. Fast cranks every time!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I had my first Yellow Top for 6 years. Then a cell went bad.... I locked myself out of the truck with the a/c, radio, and lights on. Wasn't able to get back in for a couple hours (LONG STORY!) But I bought a new one, and I love it. Fast cranks every time!
You should be posting a story like that... I take it that there was a couple funny moments??

·
Mopar Madness - Get it...
4,032 Posts
I've never bought or used an Optima battery, but I've read nothing but good things about them.

So far as a bigger alt (I assume you're talking about one of the 100+ amp alts) you need to keep a couple of things in mind...

First being, that an electric/electronic device will only pull as many amps as it needs to operate.. If you're worried about an old electric system and a bigger alt 'pushing' too many amps through it, that won't happen. Something has to be 'drawing' the amperage...

Now, if you plan on hooking up some 'high amp' devices (Off road lights, high powered stereo, etc) and you still have the factory wiring (Alt output going through the ammeter, feeding the rest of the system and charging the battery) that would be an area of concern.
Even if you hook up devices, relayed or not, right to the battery, you'll still be drawing amperage through an old and poorly designed electrical system.
Even Mopars from the factory with the big alt on them used a bigger gauge (10 gauge I think) wire from the alt to the ammeter then out to the rest of everything, but it still remains that the system is old and poorly designed. So if you couple high-draw devices, with a smaller gauge wire that came stock with a, say, 65 amp alt, you can see where you might be making things even worse.

If you want to hook up dual batteries, which should be no prob, the ONLY way I'd do it, is to bypass the ammeter ... ahem ... 'system' ... and build your modified charging system as big and beefy as your $$ and skills allow.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have had 2 optimas ( red top ) over the past 10 or so years..
Last one lasted approx. 8 years...
I like them.. Some times you can luck out & catch them on sale..
The last one I bought I "pimped-out" to match my engine compartment.
And the best thing... It didnt void the warranty..
Now I know.. Why in the hell would you mess with a perfectly good Battery???
I dont know.. I guess I cant leave anything "Stock".. I know its not for everyone.. But to each there own... Right??

Anywho...Heres some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
608 Posts
Perhaps we should start a thread in which we share some embarrassing (and avoidable) experiences with our trucks; it might help others to avoid making the same mistake. Don’t worry – as the “suggester” I will go first.

I periodically publish such a column in the Mopar club newsletter which I edit. I call it "My Most Embarrassing Mo-Ment". Most of the cautionary tales end up being sourced from my own “experiences”, of course . . .

Jeff

·
Registered
608 Posts
Perhaps we should start a thread in which we share some embarrassing (and avoidable) experiences with our trucks; it might help others to avoid making the same mistake. Don’t worry – as the “suggester” I will go first.

I periodically publish such a column in the Mopar club newsletter which I edit. I call it "My Most Embarrassing Mo-Ment". Most of the cautionary tales end up being sourced from my own “experiences”, of course . . .

Jeff
Well, it's up. I named it " . . . And That Was When Things Went Wrong!, a Thread for Sharing Your Oopses". You'll have to read it to see what my first "contribution" is. :D

Here's the link:

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235771

Jeff

·
4,032 Posts

Jeff
You mean like finishing the body work on a door and a couple of days later 'forgetting' where you parked it, and backing into it with a Furd?
THAT kind of embarrassing story??? :D :D :D
In my case, it might be called "My Most Embarrassing Fo-Ment".... :D
(I won't even get into the back of an A-100 van, my girlfriend and future mother-in-law...) ;)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
he he he that is why i keep bringing up the door story bruce, funny as hell.

"In my case, it might be called "My Most Embarrassing Fo-Ment"....
(I won't even get into the back of an A-100 van, my girlfriend and future mother-in-law...) "

Huh? what were you doing in the back of a van (19, 21 carry the 9 would put it about 1975-77) with your future mother in law. i know we were all bell bottoms and liberal and free $ex...well you have some 'splaining to do.

·
4,032 Posts
he he he that is why i keep bringing up the door story bruce, funny as hell.

I knew I could count on you to keep that story alive and well... :D

"In my case, it might be called "My Most Embarrassing Fo-Ment"....
(I won't even get into the back of an A-100 van, my girlfriend and future mother-in-law...) "

Huh? what were you doing in the back of a van (19, 21 carry the 9 would put it about 1975-77) with your future mother in law. i know we were all bell bottoms and liberal and free $ex...well you have some 'splaining to do.

Oh nononono... Actually it was about 84' and it had to do with a future mother-in-law, looking for her daughter and opening the door of a van and seeing something she souldn't oughta' been seeing... :YO:

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
Personally I think Optimas are a waste of money, but you know what opinions are like :) I've seen several new ones go bad in a year or less. And a good, quality regular battery will last just as long or longer, and crank just as good. Get a 900 CCA Silver or Gold battery from Advance and it'll do just as good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.