DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

This is going to cost me$$$$$

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  hamish 
#1 ·
I hope someone can verify this or help me to diagnose my tranny issue I have a 1999 2500 4X4 5.9L V8 with I believe 46re????1st of can a 47re be swapped in with limited difficulty?or is it not compatable?So my truck was making a ticking noise after I crested a hill and it took a few seconds to engage a higher gear?I assume it's a higher gear.I would turn the od switch off to climb the hills and reengage at the top and then the ticking and the delay.It is also making a metallic ringing/spitting noise (if that makes any sense) under the load of the hills and higher rpms.It does these wonderful things whether or not the od switch is on. If I accelerate hard and the rpms build it ticks/rings and has trouble engaging either gear or lockup? I don't know exactly whats going on in there and I know little of automatic transmissions.It still shifts firm everywhere else and the fluid doesn't smell burnt(anymore)I had it diagnosed after an incident in which I was driving at high speeds over many hills for an extended period of time.The truck suddenly felt like it dropped down a gear and the od off light came on.I could not reengage it and after backing off for awhile it returned to od.but shortly after it happened again.I stopped the truck and smelt the fluid--BURNING smell.I let it sit in the snow for an hour and limped it to a dealership.Their guy says 99.9% sure the torque convertor is going.I have been babying it since then almost 2 weeks still moving no change same symptoms. Anyone verify this and make any suggestions.My 408ci build is on hold for now.Transmission fix is neccessity.Please help

See less See more
#2 ·
u sure that sound your hearing at high rpm or on hills isnt the engine pinging?

#3 ·
A 47RE will not swap,the belhousing shape is different.(47RE is V-10/Diesel only) It sounds like the transmission was getting hot so yes your converter is probably going out.

The "metallic ringing/spitting noise" sounds like spark knock so you might have multiple things going on. (clogged catalytic converter,bad plenum gasket etc.)

#4 ·
Spark knock please explain??I took it to the dealership and while the mechanic was in the cab I could hear a knocking from drivers side cylinder. He removed plugs one by one and cyinder 3 started to knock badly with plug wire removed.I guess thats it. he says piston slap.I think I need a break.

#5 ·
We had gone for a test drive with the scan tool attached and 3 codes appeared 1 injector related another coil related and the third was a torque convertor code. the first 2 were my doing but please forgive me I have forgotten the code numbers. I had fully expected to rebuild this tranny after reading all the earlier threads posted in archives. But the #3 cylinder is a killer, any diagnosis? I guess if the pistons been slappin' the bottom end will need rebuilt!!

#6 ·
tactransman said what could cause the spark knock clogged cat, plenum gasket

#7 ·
if the tranny is over heating, there is a checkvalve ball by the lower rad. hose. id check that out. i recently went on a long trip to az, the tranny would warm up too much and i would be forced to stop. Took that check ball out and it didnt do it the last time i went.

#8 ·
I have taken it to 2 mechanics to verify the knock is pretty nasty.2 seperate delerships both confirm they believe it could be on the verge of terminal.I really wish it's just a case of spark knock but just standing beside it with the hood up and light throttle it sounds like a cold diesel in winter.I should have changed octane to a higher level to see if that helped but it's too late now.with the torque converter going and the piston knocking I've decided to ditch the dream of 408ci..............2009 hemi here i come!

#14 ·
I have taken it to 2 mechanics to verify the knock is pretty nasty.2 seperate delerships both confirm they believe it could be on the verge of terminal.I really wish it's just a case of spark knock but just standing beside it with the hood up and light throttle it sounds like a cold diesel in winter.I should have changed octane to a higher level to see if that helped but it's too late now.with the torque converter going and the piston knocking I've decided to ditch the dream of 408ci..............2009 hemi here i come!
SO, where's the new rig?

:postpics:

#10 ·
#12 ·
If the spark knock is caused by the wires not being routed properly causing induced voltage, yes. If caused by another reason, no. :gr_patrio:gr_patrio

#15 ·
Will figure out how to post pics on days off.Miss old truck already it was a tank in the bush best offroad truck i've ever owned.Had so many plans for her, she would have been sweet. Never drove right on the highway though. Need the reliability of warrentied truck now have long distances to travel for school for many years to come.It still haunts me thinking if it was really as simple as spark plug wire rerouting or higher octane fix.Guess that's just the dream not letting go.Too many issues to deal with at once can't regret it.Now i'm whipped don't want to get the new on dirty!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.