DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my local dealership on Monday for the oil change on my 300C, and made the mistake of looking around while I waited.

They have a 2005 White 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 CTD that has a 3" lift and 35x12.5x20 tires with fender flares and a nerf bar that was absolutely GORGEOUS!!! (I would normally opt for 18's, but the 20's definitely look sweet)

Not only do I have the 300C, but I also have a 2003 Ram 1500 QC 4x4 Hemi (hence the "Hemi Freak").

BUT...I can't stop thinking about this truck!!! Has anyone made a similar switch? Obviously I'm posting this on the Diesel Talk section, so I'm sure most of you are happy with your trucks, but is there anything I should know about?
Problems with the trucks (like the stalling some hemi owners experience)?
Anything else to consider?!?!?!
Changes coming in 2006?
I noticed it only had the 373 gears, is it worth looking for the 410's or other?
Other options you wished you had purchased with your truck?

Your input would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
3:73's are plenty of gear for anything the CTD needs to pull. I pull a 17K 38 foot trailer with 3:73's

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nothing wrong with those gears. I have the 3.55's in my '01 and I promise a hemi with 4.10's cant get its rear bumper past my door out of the hole and at 35mph I've left them. On top of that, they give me great power in the 40 to 90 mph range, when 4.10's have wound up bout as tight as they wanna go. Oh yea, least of all fuel mileage.... But I'd love to have 4.10's just for the braggin rights lol and give up that 21 mpg avg.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
My dad has an '01 with 6-speed high output and the 4.10 gears. It moves along pretty good but the RPMs start getting pretty high above 60-65 mph.

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
I did the same move... didn't regret it at all.

As said, the 3.73s will be good for it even with 35's... the CTD makes all its power in the lower RPMs and will do it good. You won't regret the move. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I recently bought an 04 CTD and I also have the first 94' 1 ton v-10 dually that was ever dropped. The 10 banger has borla headders, cats back, a viper computer and a k&n filter. The CTD has the Edge programer w/ the juice module, 5" exhaust and the air filter, 6" lift on 38's. The CTD will kill the V-10, tie it to a stump then turn around and pull the stump out. I love them both but the CTD is the ruler of the land. I honestly don't think I will ever go back to gas. Not to mention the up and coming Bio-fuel for diesel engines is less than 2 bucks a gallon and is better for your motor. Its made from vegetable oil so it's from the good ol' USA.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input so far. What about servicing differences? I know that there are no spark plugs, but that is about where my knowledge ends.
Does it use the same type of oil? Different changing intervals? Other service items that may be different than the gas engines?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Different type of oil, different change intervals, Throttles on Fuel instead of on Air, hell of a lot more durable, 100,000 miles is just getting started with a Diesel. There really isn't any commonality between an Oil Burner and Gasser, other then the basic layout.

·
KTM Rider
163 Posts
tkelly said:
Nothing wrong with those gears. I have the 3.55's in my '01 and I promise a hemi with 4.10's cant get its rear bumper past my door out of the hole and at 35mph I've left them. On top of that, they give me great power in the 40 to 90 mph range, when 4.10's have wound up bout as tight as they wanna go. Oh yea, least of all fuel mileage.... But I'd love to have 4.10's just for the braggin rights lol and give up that 21 mpg avg.
tkelly,
What do you have in that 01? Is it stock with 3.55's? A Hemi with 4.10's is pretty darn fast. I had a 1500 Hemi with 3.92's and it was a rocket. And the Hemi probably has around 100hp more than a 01 engine, gas or Diesel.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got back from the dealer...did not end up making the deal. We were about $3500 off on what I wanted to pay minus what they would give me for my trade in (2003 1500 QC 4x4 Hemi).
The price was going to end up at $35K + $7200 for the customizing package (lift/tires/wheels/billet/nerf bars/chrome exhaust tip) after rebates and price discount.
Don't know if I'm going to be able to sleep tonight :D
Am I being unrealistic? The $7200 for the package is about right, as I've priced packages with the customizer before (I'm sure the dealer gets a little better price, but there is probably no more than $500 profit for them in that).
The sticker price is exactly $41K, and I thought I could do better than $35K when $3000 of the discount is Chrysler rebates.

Anyone buy their 2500 recently, to give me an idea on discount to expect?
Any input is appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
My '01 has 4" exhaust, programmer, modified air box with K&N, mild injectors (recently found out prev owner had the cummins place here but some injectors in. probably 300s). Its alot faster now that deer season is over and the 315 MT/R's have been replaced by 285 street tires. In a few months I plan on an EDGE COMP DRAG BOX, 100 HP BULLY DOG INJECTORS, and some kind of aftermarket turbo. Maybe a B1. Like I said the mid-range is awesome and it would run in the mid 16's with the mud tires. I also didnt have to run it in 4 high like the low geared trucks to keep the tires from going up in smoke. Mine simply started chirping the tires at about 30-40' when the boost came up. Never have been able to hold the brakes and spool it up at the line for fear of breaking something. Just don't have much braggin rights with 3.55's.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, this morning the General Manager called me to see if he could salvage the deal, and to make a long story short...I BOUGHT THE TRUCK!!!

It is so AWESOME! It feels so much more substantial than my 1500 did (and I thought that was big!) :D

It was dark by the time I got home, so I won't have any good pics until the morning (they are detailing it out first thing in the am).

I'll post the good ones on Saturday, but here's what I've got for now (it's taken in my garage at night, so doesn't exactly show how nice it looks in person). I updated my signature, so you can see what it has.

Thanks for all of your input...

Attachments

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
Sweeet! I'm sure you will be happy. I was looking at a yellow one like that and I would have gotten it if it was a long bed........ I'm trying really hard to hold on to this truck but the new ones are really tempting....

·
Registered
597 Posts
You won't regret that purchase :D (Beautiful truck by the way)

CTD's are just bad to the bone compared to the Hemis...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.