DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying a Charger and I have talked to a few people who say that RWD cars are not good to drive on snowy or slick roads. Since I live in Michigan (currently driving a 4x4), we get quite a lot of snow in winter.

Are these people talking about old school RWD? How does the Charger drive on slick roads? Any feedback/advice would greatly help me in making a decision.

Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Old school was almost all cars were rwd. 60's and early 70's. I have a charger and it handles really good on slick roads, esp helps with that.
Remember that even 4x4's end up in the ditch on icey roads if you drive like an idiot.
So if you like the Charger and want one, go for it, you won't be sorry.
There great cars.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I look back and wonder how my family survived all those years in snow and ice
driving, old thunderbirds, ford fairlanes, Ltd's, dodge monacos, satilites, Lemans and god forbid 2WD trucks with sand bags in the back.
We are spoiled. LOL

·
HEMI Power
993 Posts
It's funny how not long ago, everybody knew how to drive the RWD cars with no problem and it was a less common for somebody to have the FWD cars, and now it the opposite way around.

The funny thing is I have lost control of my wife's old FWD many more times than I even did with any RWD vehicle I've owned--truck included...not sure why.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
The ESP on the Charger does a lot for traction and braking, it really never can be shut completely off even with the switch. Having just gotten the Daytona edition I too was concerned the first snow/ice mixture. No problem at all, she took it in stride. Being up north I am sure you could locate an AWD version for about the same price if it really bothers you, I say pull the trigger, you wont be disapointed. I grew up in Northern Illinois and Wisconsin, as pointed out earlier in the thread, 4x4's even have problems on occasion, (if they are not Dodge's.....ha)

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm also considering a Charger - but with AWD. It'll be a daily commuter and I'm not interested in running the risk of being stranded somewhere in a snow storm. My Benz has "traction control" on the rear diff - - but there really is no substitute for AWD/4x4 in a snow storm when you are sucking wind looking for traction.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
How about from a performance modding standpoint? Are the RWD a better choice? Im talking a stroker/turbo setup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.