DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Goodbye My Love . . .
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after a friend of mine recently blew a head gasket by hydrolocking his turboed v6 F-150, I am now looking into a much easier way (than turbo) to use forced induction. I am still fighting a nice lawsuit against me from a nice speeding ticket that I recieved a while ago, however I would like to get some information about maybe supercharging my truck.

From what I understand, it is much easier to install and much safer also. I am not looking for anything massive either, just something small to get me a nice boost in performance.

I am not interested in rebuilding my block either, just fabing a bracket, installing the necessary fuel requirements and programming with the SMT-6 (and whatever else there is).

I am just looking for a list of parts and some suggestions on how to go about doing this. I would prefer to purchase all the parts seperatly and build it myself as my friend just finished supercharging his other v6 F-150 on 35" tires and he can help out.

All I need is just a few suggestions of what kinda supercharger, injectors needed, SMT-6 obviously and whatever else is needed.

Thanks! :rck:

·
MrDestinE
664 Posts
I would be interested in knowing how much boost your Friend was running? how good was his tune? was he experiencing any detonation? Any time you use any form of forced induction too much boost or a tune that is not absolutly correct can result in head gasket failure... But YEA! Forced Iduction is where it is at.....

TJ

·
Josh
4,202 Posts
hey man just hold out till spring i know of two companies/guys that are making better kits for our trucks than the gsm one and they are great to work with and have good customer service and the one guy has first hand knowledge on the 5.7l supercharger cause lets jsut say he has one and it puts out some power. Im holding off till spring to see what happens ill send you a pm of the guys so you can pm them or send them an email.

·
Josh
4,202 Posts
hey man just hold out till spring i know of two companies/guys that are making better kits for our trucks than the gsm one and they are great to work with and have good customer service and the one guy has first hand knowledge on the 5.7l supercharger cause lets jsut say he has one and it puts out some power. Im holding off till spring to see what happens ill send you a pm of the guys so you can pm them or send them an email.

Talk to srt10kllr about the injectors and smt-6 he gives a base tune with the kit. everything else i have no idea.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
How is a supercharger safer then a turbo? They do the same thing. One is driven off exhaust and one is driven off a belt.

·
Josh
4,202 Posts
well technically a turbo is safer and better for the tranny cause the boost comes on slower not all at once but as long as your not pushing over 8-10 psi with the supercharger you will be ok from what i ahve learned so far

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Exactly. People are afraid of turbos because they see the people that buy the e-bay kits crank the wastegate actuator down and blow their motor. A turbo can be a great way to add power safely if you know what you are doing.

·
Josh
4,202 Posts
yea, its just with me i just wnat a supercharger i mean im not going for all out power if i can get it and headers and make 400 hp ill be fine with that cause it is my daily driver, its just preference to which one you want to get.

·
Josh
4,202 Posts
hey spedly where you the one that said they could help me put in my headers when i get them?

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
I am not trying to say don't get a supercharger. I was just making a point that a turbo done right is just as safe if not safer then a supercharger. If utec ever comes out (it is suposed to be an obdII compatible standalone) I will be going turbo shortly after.

·
Registered
93 Posts
supercharger vs turbocharger

With a supercharger the best you can hope for is under 30 psi. The boost is in direct relation to the speed of the blower - engine. The air is heated when it is compressed and some leaks around the rotors to be reheated. Some of the competition superchargers need to have the rotors restripped after 10 runs to get maybe 27 psi.

A turbo charger you can put an after cooler on it and cool the air. Pressures of a turbo can be higher than 27 psi. You have boost when you want it. When you don't have a load on engine but a high rpm you don't have all the boost.

With out changing the bottom end to hold all the increased fuel air charge I think the motor would not last long if you were overdriving the supercharger to get a boat load of boost.

This is my opinion. This and $1 will get you some coffee.

Dave

·
Josh
4,202 Posts
yea but these blocks will split way b4 we come close to 30 psi, some of the best guys around hemidup is making 700 or so hp and he has a totally rebuilt engine. so it really doesnt matter. i think that is wat you meant by the psi but if not correct me if im wrong

·
Registered
840 Posts
There are pics comming back from SEMA of all different kinds of kits for the HEMI, both turbo and blowers. I know of a few guys that have all the bugs worked out both ways. I may end up boosting one way or the other as part of some product development, but I definately prefer the juice to boost. Nitrous has a bad reputation because enough people have done it wrong over the years and blown up a lot of motors. I am developing the ultimate nitrous system that will provide the maximum amout of power with the least amount of problems for the motor. Yes the components in my new short block are capable of handling way more juice than the coilpacks will probably light, but I will have in excess of 500hp on demand at all times, and no additional wear and tear on my drivetrain when not in use.

·
Registered
93 Posts
supercharger vs turbocharge

Yes that is what I meant. The output pressure of the supercharger and turbocharger. When I saw the bottom end of a KB hemi they had a "girdle" that helped hold the crank in. Also the way the studs from head and bottom end held the top and bottom together was a good engineering move.

High air temps and pressures that come out of a supercharged engine would be a concern of mine for a street machine. It would look cool to see a supercharger on an engine, I have to say that.

Just my opinion.

Dave

·
Registered
840 Posts
Did you happen to get pics of the "girdle"? These motors have a windage tray built into the oil pan gasket, are you sure it wasn't that?

There are a few motors running around with the ARP studs. They are pricey but I think they will work really well. I have some going in my new motor.

·
Josh
4,202 Posts
hey beast2 what do they do just stabilize the crank of what i havent heard of thisbefore

·
Registered
840 Posts
The girdle he was talking about was "old school" HEMI. The girdles just keep the main caps from walking back and forth so much and keeps everything in line. I don't think there is any need for one on the new HEMI stuff, but if somebody had one I was going to check it out!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The cross bolts on the mains are also a huge help in stopping cap walk. The biggest problem for 440's is cap walk over 500hp. With main studs there good for 600hp. The old school hemi's have the center 3 main webs cross bolted. That stops walk on the center 3 but I've seen the out side 2 walk with 800hp.

No one knows yet how good the lower end is on the 5.7/6.1 Hemi with all 5 mains cross bolted. We will find out soon enough.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.