DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be making my decision in the next couple of days, probably tomorrow. The truck is a Mineral Gray Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 Laramie, with every conceivable option and the 4.7-liter H.O. engine.

I'm looking for feedback from current Dak owners, advice, suggestions, etc.

Thanks in advance!

--David:cool:

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Don't do it man! Stick with the fullsize and get a HEMI. I loved my '97 Dak but they should have named that new thing something else! As if the exterior wasn't bad enough, the interior makes me want to :YUK:
I know this is a site for all Dodges, but everyone was bashing them before they were released and well.... they are still that ugly! Oh, IMHO of course..... HaHa :thatfunny

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
:eek:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I got what you are talking about only black.The truck is great 2400m on it now. I liked my 03 a lot & am liking this one more & more every day.their is no way to compare the ride the 05 is that much better.

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I drove around in an '05 4x4 today to get a feel for it, and I agree, it's incredibly smooth and quiet. I also like the sound the 4.7-equipped truck's exhaust makes when you step on it a little. :D

The interior on the lower-end models is a little cheap, but the Laramie is 100% better. The satin silver dash bezel helps, as do the chrome handles on the doors. I'm a little disappointed in not having a full complement of gauges, but I guess I'll learn to live with that.

I actually liked the exterior styling from day one, and the more I look at it, the more I like it. With it's protrudiing front bumper, the Dakota Quad Cab barely fits in my garage, but it does fit, so all is well!

I wanted a full-sized Ram Quad Cab more than this truck originally, but when I took one home to try it in my garage, it would not fit. :( There's no way I'll leave a brand new truck sitting outside! I also considered getting a new 4x4 Ram regular cab with a Hemi, and otherwise identical to my '02. That truck would list for around $33,000 now, and that is what the Dakota I'm getting lists for. On the Dakota, I'm getting the Laramie package with Infinity sound, Sirius satellite radio, leather, and many other nice things.... AND I'm lowering my monthly payment by approximately $100! :D AND it will be much more fuel efficient than my Ram to boot!:cool:

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
Sounds like someone forgot one factor in the QC... an excuse to build a shop. :)

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
I told him earlier today, to knock out the wall and make the garage bigger....Then a QC would fit..

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
keven said:
I told him earlier today, to knock out the wall and make the garage bigger....Then a QC would fit..
I actually considered that, seriously....... there is a closet behind the garage and I could do without it. But the modification to the house would cost more than what I'll be saving in monthly payments with a new truck. Not worth it!

I like having something different than what everyone else has. I had the only 4x4 SLT Ram regular cab in my area for a long time. Now they are more common. This would also be my second Dakota. I had a '93 years ago, which I loved and still miss sometimes. So the more I think about it, the Dak seems to fit for me. :)

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
FreeLantz said:
I actually considered that, seriously....... there is a closet behind the garage and I could do without it. But the modification to the house would cost more than what I'll be saving in monthly payments with a new truck. Not worth it!
We can have are next DT meet at your house, and remove the wall for you...Then it wouldn't cost you anything...

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
FreeLantz said:
But the modification to the house would cost more than what I'll be saving in monthly payments with a new truck. Not worth it!
Manure! I'll take care of that when I'm down that way for a nice fat steak meal. :)

FreeLantz said:
I had a '93 years ago, which I loved and still miss sometimes.
Yea, I know what you mean... for a long while (and occasionaly still) I miss my old Dakota. I've been in a few since it and they just aren't as nice as the one I had, I got pretty lucky when I picked it up.

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do we have any more Dakota owners here who would like to chime in????

I'm signing the papers tomorrow........ and going to get the truck on Monday!

·
Registered
310 Posts
FreeLantz said:
Do we have any more Dakota owners here who would like to chime in????

I'm signing the papers tomorrow........ and going to get the truck on Monday!
As an ex-Dakota owner (1988 and 1997, both reg. cabs) I can say that I loved both trucks. The 88 was my first vehicle. The 97 I really liked. The proportions were just right. It was a reg. cab, short box, V6, and it felt tight and nimble. When we were looking for a new 2nd vehicle recently, we seriously considered the 05 Dakota QC, comparing it to the 05 Ram QC. The look of the 05 Dakota is definitely growing on me, and I loved the interior as well. What eventually tipped the scale for us in favour of the Ram was that they had a deal on the 05 Ram QC, which a comparably equipped Dakota couldn't even come close to. Eventually we may end up in a Dakota again, but for now we're loving our new Ram. For driving around town, the Dakota may be a better choice. It depends what you are hauling and how many people you take with you. For us, with 2 kids, the extra room in the Ram is awesome. What are you doing with your 02 Ram? Whatever you decide, best of luck!!

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the input Pug........ I had a '93 Dakota with a 318, and it still is my absolute most favorite ride of all the ones I've had over the years!

I really love my '02 Ram, and it's hard to let it go..... I am hoping at least to be able to sell it to someone I know since I work at the dealership where I am trading it in. :)

So far only one actual '05 Dakota owner has posted in here......... do we have any others who would like to enlighten me? I'm getting the truck tomorrow.....

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Congrats on the 05! I'm liking them more and more as I see them on the road but they're few and far between around here, even on dealer lots. And even at that all I see are stripped down ST models... Blah. And I know what you mean about the old school Dakotas with the 318 :D :D

·
Cass_A_Nova
1,258 Posts
Congrats on the '05 they are pretty nice I want to take one on a test drive even know I just got my '99 r/t

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hemi_dakota94 said:
Congrats on the 05! I'm liking them more and more as I see them on the road but they're few and far between around here, even on dealer lots. And even at that all I see are stripped down ST models... Blah. And I know what you mean about the old school Dakotas with the 318 :D :D
Dakota sales are picking up, especially in the last few weeks, from what I have seen and been told. At my dealership we sold more Dakotas last weekend than Rams, which is a rare occurence. I think enough people are making the move to more fuel efficient vehicles, but still want trucks. And that is going to mean a rise in popularity of the Dakota.

The ST models don't look too hot, I agree... and the V6 Dak's are dogs. But when you check the right options you can make these trucks very, very nice.:)

Thanks for the comments. Check out my pics in the other thread I made earlier!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.