DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
16oz. to freedom!
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to purchase a new 06/07 Ram 1500 truck and I wanted to get ya'lls feedback on the truck. I would be getting a Quad Cab 4x4 with the HEMI!!

How long does the transmission typcially last?(hopefully longer than the GM 4l60e) How do it shift, etc?

How is the HEMI's MDS system? Any problems with it so far? What MPG numbers are you seeing?

And more so how many miles does your Ram 1500 have and what problems have you had with it?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
525 Posts
I just got mine Monday (9/18) night, so factor that into it.

If you're looking for MPG, don't buy a truck, especially not a Hemi 4x4. If you'll be buying new, don't worry about the transmission, buy the extended warranty.

Like I said, I have just over 100 miles on my truck, but I already love it. MPG is not a concern for me as I put very little miles on a vehicle.

Just my $0.02.

·
16oz. to freedom!
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How could you not put many miles on it living in Houston? lol

I own several trucks so i know about MPG with trucks. My current truck is getting 16 so that is why i am asking, a jump from 16 to 19 is quite a bit of savings when you do the math over time

im not sure how much you know about chevys but the 4l60e is prone for going out with not many miles on it. I have a friends who just hit 120000 in his 02 dodge and the tranny is still shifting awesome. i wanted someone that knows about the dodge tranny to chime in about how long the typically last and if they experence alot of failure.

thanks

·
Lets go DEVILS!!!
2,129 Posts
MY '06 has the MDS and it's really not all it's cracked up to be. I've put almost 4000 miles on it since I got in July. So far best I got on the hwy was 18.1mpg and cty i get around 10. Overall I average around 13 mpg per tank. As far as the MDS goes..... I'm not so sure about it. The truck has an odd resonance to it when i'm cruising on the hwy next to the divider at light throttle. It almost sounds like a bad EGR kinda sound. Also I can't get the rears to break loose like one of my coworkers can on his '03.. maybe mds.... maybe too aggressive torque management.

That said. The truck pulls up hills with no need to kick it down a gear. Where my Ford would have to kick it down to get the RPM's round 3500 to climb, my Ram does it at around 2000 R's. As far as I'm concerned overall I love her so far.

·
16oz. to freedom!
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is there a different tranny in the trucks with the 4.7 than the trucks with the hemi?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had my 06 Ram 1500 Quad cab Hemi for almost a month now.... all in all a beautiful truck..... fit, finish and function are excellent except for one annoying problem with shifting ( see previous post " Transmission problems already " ). Have almost 2000 miles on it already and it's averaged 15 mph hwy since day one...... hoping to do a bit better once it's broke in. This is my first Dodge .....it's replacing a 94 GMC Sierra SLT ext cab 4x4 which never did better than 20 mpg with a 350. Can't say I'm really impressed so far with Dodge's ability to fix my shifting problem..... but that could be as much my dealers fault as aything else..... based on what I know so far I would certainly recommend the truck...... does anyone know If I can fit BF Goodrich all terrain TA's 285 R70 17's on a stock 1500 without rubbing ? There looks to be enough room on the back but I'm not sure about the front when turning...... I'm not impressed with the whimpy looking Goodyear 265's that came with it

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just picked mine up two weeks ago, 4x4 hemi mds quad cab. cruising at 55 mph, I get 24 mpg (NO B.S) I averaged 16.9 on my last tank. 15 in the city, about 19 on the highway 70mph

·
16oz. to freedom!
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
da yall have the vibration problem?

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
Depending on the year, you're going to have either the 45RFE or 545RFE, whether you have the 4.7 or 5.7.

I'm working on 83,000 (51,000 of which are mine) and have an awesome shifting tranny. The Ram needs a little help, especially if you get one with the 3.55 gears. With my new 4.56's, S/C, P/W, and relocating the IAT, this thing shifts nicely around town. But it gives a nice HARD shift at WOT.

With my shorter tires (which are getting replaced SOON) I'm turning over 2,500 RPM's at 65-70MPH. Even so, I can average almost 16MPG. I get the rev's closer to 2,000 and I can get an easy 22MPG. If I don't play as much during my commute, I can average 16MPG in town.

My greatest mileage mod right now would be shaving some weight off of my right foot. :D

·
16oz. to freedom!
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just bought a new Yukon so the truck might be on hold...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.