DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know much about them, the more I research hotshot rigs, it seems like they are some kind of secret. I have even called big rig companies; because there are no hotshot companies around here, and they don't know much about hotshot rigs. I was wondering if anyone here knows much about hotshots?
Also what is the best hotshot rig?
I know that this is a dodge site, and most will say dodge/cummins is best.
But I would like to know more.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
You will find 80% of hotshotters and 80% of guys delivering new travel trailers use the Dodge/Cummins combo.

·
Mopar Madman
135 Posts
Get at least a 35 foot gooseneck flatbed with 2 10,000 axels. I use several hotshot flatbed rigs and pay about $0.80 a mile to the drivers. If you have any specific questions pm me and I will try to help.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
80 cents a mile and the drivers have to pay for their own fuel, insurance and plates or is that all covered?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Here's one company that has lots of info. http://www.actionexpressedm.ca/index.htm

Dodge is the best IMO, because the cummins easily the longest lasting diesel pickup engine, and hotshot racks up insane miles. I actully have been researching it quite a bit because I considered doing it this winter. I found a 1 ton and a 30' or 40' useable deck gooseneck with 3 8k axles is probaly the best bet. 3 axles haul more, and spread out the weight more, and usally keep weight off the truck. I don't know were your located but if your in western canada, you can make a fortune doing things like this right now.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
You can make good money if you get a back haul and get alot more money than 80 cents a mile. I was getting $1.25 a mile in 1985 for my big trucks

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
The place I was looking into pays $1.12 per km so $.68 per mile, but you get payed both ways, so it would be pretty good money. The thing is, hotshot has crazy start up costs, I couldn't believe it, you need 10k easy to get going by the time you buy a trailer, insurance, compensation, setup a company, etc etc. But the amount of money you can make is insane.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Check your math. $1.12 per KM is alot more than $.68 a mile. A KM is smaller than a mile.

·
Mopar Madman
135 Posts
Most of my drivers use Dodge trucks. I have one with a Cheby. The price I gave was round trip. I pay 75% of what I collect. I sell exclusive use hotshots and always work to find backhauls. I provide the 48 state authority and cargo insurance but all other expenses are the drivers responsibility. Most companies require $1,000,000.00 insurance coverage in order to load their cargo on a truck. The cost of the 48 state authority and DOT registration is not cheap. Combine those with the insurance policy and you have a great deal of start up expenses. Since I run several trucks the costs are spread across my entire fleet of vehicles. When you factor in that customers never pay until 30 days after the invoice, you can go broke real fast. The going rate for flatbed hotshot rigs here is $1.90 per loaded mile and the national fuel surcharge average. I sent a 25 foot flatbed with 1500lbs to Delta Airlines in Atlanta, GA with 1 10x8x6 crate containing a reverse thruster this week and brought 1 empty crate back and the driver was paid approx $2000.00. He drove approx 1250 miles so before his expenses he made approx $1.60 per mile.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.