DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
what's your left leg doin
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since my truck is new, if I'm going to de-badge it should be soon right?
Because if I wait a year or two the paint (under the badging) might not perfectly match right?

My question is: If I change my mind is it hard to re-badge it? (and make it look right)
I called about my V8 dakota badges peeling, and they said they'd have to see them before they could give me a definite answer on replacements. The cost of gas to go there for that, come back, and go round trip again if they do offer replacements, would be equal the price of just buying more at the local dealer. Yes they are far away, and I hate the local dealer and do NOT want to give them my business.

So I am considering de-badging and then getting some decals instead.

·
Tape On
829 Posts
Take measurements of where the badges are now and then de-badge it. If you want to re-badge, you know where they go.

·
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I get that, and is getting (cutting) the double-stick tape to match the letters very hard?
I'm assuming you just get an exacto knife and go at it right?

·
'75 Power Wagon
4,530 Posts
honestly, if you are having doubts about debadging it, you shouldnt do it! personally, i like trucks with their badges! especially big badass 4x4s, you know what i mean?

·
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
75 Power Wagon said:
honestly, if you are having doubts about debadging it, you shouldnt do it! personally, i like trucks with their badges! especially big badass 4x4s, you know what i mean?
I know exactly what you mean! (and I agree). It's just that I'm po'ed about the V8 badges :VHOT:

My original thought was to put one set of my "RAM 1500" on the left side of the tailgate since there is no "DODGE" badge there. Not sure about where to put the other set.
And then get something else on the sides. Either decals, or some 2nd gen door badges.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Just rip them all off you wont look back. :werd:

·
Tape On
829 Posts
stickshiftsrule said:
Okay, I get that, and is getting (cutting) the double-stick tape to match the letters very hard?
I'm assuming you just get an exacto knife and go at it right?
If you wanted to re-badge, just buy new ones from the dealer. No need to worry about putting double sticky foam on the old ones.

·
ANIMAL
104 Posts
I just took mine off a couple months ago its a 03 and you cant see where they were. As far as to do it or not I was the same way for a long time trying to decide wether or not to do it but now that its done I like it a lot better, the only one's I left on were the Hemi badge's on the front fenders and I think im going to remove those also.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Just look at other trucks like yours, same color, etc, and see if you like them with or without the badges, go with it and don't look back.

Do it smartly after much though, as to which badges to remove.

You can always put the old badges back on or just get new ones, they are cheap, just not the RAM 1500 ones, they are all perfectly lined up and spaced when you buy them.

You DO NOT USE A KNIFE!!!!!

You take a 2' piece of 30-40lb mono fishing line and saw through the sticky pad, then ice the remaining gluey stuff with an ice cube, being careful not to scratch the paint and rub them off with your fingers and maybe a cut in half popsickle stick, then use prepsol or thinner to remove the rest of the glue.

Do it soon before the sun changes the color of the rest of the truck a little.

·
Registered
619 Posts
yeah man do it soon and definitly be sure to get all the glue off or it will ghost.. i used wd-40 on my ram1500s and it took forever but then i bought GooGone to do my Hemi badges with and it just come right off...oh yeah and i put my Ram 1500 badges on each of my floor mats... i got a pic in my gallery i think i got a lot of compliments on them

·
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I think I need to wax this thing and see how much of a PITA it is with badges in place. If it's not too bad I'm gonna' keep em'. I like the look of the factory badging, I'm just mad at the V8 badges. :VHOT:
Stay tuned............... :D

·
Registered
619 Posts
yeah waxing is a big part of why i took mine off...i took these off before i waxed it.. but in trucks past i have had a heck of a time waxing with trim and badges..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Debadging is soo easy... take a heat gun or hair dryer... warms up the glues and use a fishing line to peel it off. theen use lighting fluid to take the remaing glue off. I did my friends cars in about 20 min.

I think it looks way cleaner and i dont have to advertise what car i drive. ;)

If you ever decide to put the badges back on, you will need 3M double sided automotive tape. Its not that POS stuff you get at home depot. You need to buy the good stuff if you want it to stay there for a long time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.