DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently obtained this printout of the specs for the '05 Dodge Rams and the spec for leather seats (*VL) indicates that the rear seats in the Ram QC are actually vinyl! When I called the new product info hotline and spoke to Lisa to confirm that Dodge was actually that cheap, she said she'd have to get back to me after speaking to a "project engineer".

When she called back a few days later, she said the project engineer indicated the seats, front and rear, are all leather & suede. However, when I spoke to a buddy of mine that sells Dodges (and from whom I got the attached spec) and he said that he learned from the sales training video that the rear seats are indeed vinyl.

This means that not only is Dodge cheap when it comes to their interior, but they are also giving their customers absolute false information!

I'm still getting my Dodge, but now I'm wondering what else isn't what I think it is. I'm also pissed I spent so much time treating vinyl seats with leather conditioner on my last QC!!!! :VHOT:

Attachments

• Image uploading. Refresh page to view
    197.2 KB Views: 176

·
Drug Dealer
666 Posts
aftermarket leather

Brother, do yourself a favor and save the money for the leather option and go with Katzkins or Classic Soft Trim. Just Google the two companies and find a dealer in your area. It will be cheaper, softer and 100% leather seating surfaces in the front and back. That's what I did. Cost me $1100 (installed) for two tone leather from Classic Soft Trim. You can pick your own colors, patterns, perforation, suede or even perforated suede. Here is a pic of an interior similar to mine except I don't have the logo and I have gathered inserts.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
Yeah, I recall the rears being vinyl. Someone posted this a long time ago, I dunno why they went that route, but they did.

kb

·
Registered
221 Posts
I agree with the foregoing on the leather option and going with aftermarket. The Dodge dealer I purchased my truck wont even order the "leather" package. They have the trucks sent out to a custom shop and have either the Classic Soft Trim, or the Katzkin installed.
Here is a link to my new interior as I had mine replaced due to damage from an auto theft - recovery.

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56704

·
Registered
848 Posts
Don't know if one is better than the other but I ordered mine from auto leathers inc. with 2 tone and gathers for about $500 , installed them myself the look great!!!!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Don't know if one is better than the other but I ordered mine from auto leathers inc. with 2 tone and gathers for about $500 , installed them myself they look great!!!! :rck:

·
Registered
221 Posts
gemini70 said:
I agree with the foregoing on the leather option and going with aftermarket. The Dodge dealer I purchased my truck wont even order the "leather" package. They have the trucks sent out to a custom shop and have either the Classic Soft Trim, or the Katzkin installed.
Here is a link to my new interior as I had mine replaced due to damage from an auto theft - recovery.

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56704
By the way, I paid $1268 for the Katzkin interior with Ram head logo( for a QC ). I wonder why there is such a large price disparity between the cost of the leather interiors?

·
Drug Dealer
666 Posts
my interior

JimmyLo, here's the pics of my interior you pm'd me for.... Please keep in mind that I used my camera phone since I don't have a digital camera with me here in Ohio. They look better than they do in the pics. The stitching is lighter than it appears and the leather is tighter than it appears.

gemini70, I'm sure Ht Rambler only ordered for a regular cab. The price I gave was for a QC.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers for the pics. I'm sold---just found out the truck is being delivered this weekend, so it's too late to pass on the production leather/vinyl combo package, but I'll be shopping for a new leather interior next week.

What are "gathered inserts"?? Gathered as opposed to ....?

·
Drug Dealer
666 Posts
inserts

If you look at the first pic I posted it has smooth inserts so the whole seat is smooth. The pics I posted of my interior have the "gathered" inserts. The inserts (light gray part) are "bunched up" and the sides (dark gray) are still smooth. I actually ordered the smooth inserts but they sent the gathered ones and I liked how they looked so I kept them.

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
The factory rear seats in Rams with leather seating have ALWAYS been vinyl....... since 1998, when they first introduced leather as an option!

The third row seats in Durangos with leather are vinyl too........ same with the Caravans..... and even the ritzy Chrysler Town and Country!

Since kids are the ones more often than not sitting in those back seats, I guess the factory decided a long time ago that vinyl is more durable and looks almost as good.

Personally, I'd rather have cloth!!! :D lol

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
I have a set of leather seats from Northwest Auto Leather I'm looking to get rid of...

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
if it took you researching that hard to figure it out, it aint that bad... you didnt even know the difference. I got leather option and I dont really care, It might hold up better who knows!
but forget cloth - never again, i cant stand all the damn dust and shit that thing accumulates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Up The Irons!
279 Posts
With the quality of the leather most car makers use, it may as well be vinyl.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Not only are the rear seats vinyl but anywhere that your body dosent touch i.e.sides and back of seat are also vinyl so for the option price you dont get a lot of leather but with the vinyl that is used today it feel as good as leather. even BMW uses vinyl they call it leatherette, now that sounds fancy.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've been in the upholstery business for over 30 years, terms like "leatherette", 'pleather' (meaning plastic leather), and 'faux leather', have been used since before I got into the business. One of my favorite ads was an old Honda commercial that touted the Accord "...with genuine faux leather seating areas..." I use to laugh my ass off at that one! :thatfunny

·
C HEMI GO
1,739 Posts
Bubba_Hemi said:
I have a set of leather seats from Northwest Auto Leather I'm looking to get rid of...
I'll give you $20 :)

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
HA! I'm only askin what I paid... 700.

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
Bubba_Hemi said:
HA! I'm only askin what I paid... 700.

Cents? I'll take em! :D LOL thats still a good buy, too bad I have no money.

KB

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.