DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some things that i could put into my Dakota that would make it go faster, perform better etc. Any suggestions would be greatly appriceated. I have a 1999 Dodge Dakota Sport V6 4X4 Extended Cab.

Thanks!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well I've seen on other forums that a v8 throttle body, cheap eBay intake and headers

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
even though i have a V6?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yes I just don't know where you can get em but if you o on google there's a whole lot about the v6 to v8 tb upgrade

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok cool i will deff check it out

·
Harrison
2,103 Posts
It's all what your willing to spend on a V6 that will never, well without the help of boost, have the power of a V8.

But practically everything out there you can buy for a V8 is out there for a V6.

From headers, performance cams, roller rockers, stroker cranks, cold air intakes, etc etc.

The only problem is that these engines are pretty much outdated, so most companies don't produce new parts for them anymore. But there are definitely still a lot of parts out there for each of the old magnum engines 3.9, 5.2, 5.9.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was actually thinking today about doing an engine swap to a V8. i might do it if the money goes ok after xmas

·
Harrison
2,103 Posts
That's definitely the easiest way to get instant horsepower.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That's definitely the easiest way to get instant horsepower.
+1. Even if you do a CAI, a full exhaust system (headers, pipe, high flow cat, muffler), cams, and tune the engine you're looking at maybe 25-30hp, if that... most of the power in the engine comes from the internal design of the engine itself... valve size, compression, cylinder head flow, and cylinder head layout. You can add power to a point, but it's often faster and simpler just to swap in something that will fit easily that is designed with more power in mind from the start. In the case of these trucks it's a V8. You'll get more power with that swap than doing all those mods, and then you can do those to the V8 for even more power.

Of course all that said, it might still be cheaper to sell it and get a V8, since it's not like the engine you want was not available in this country or some other limiting factor. Not to mention since you live in PA and have an OBDII vehicle (held to more stringent standards in their testing than OBDI) you MIGHT have issues with emissions, because your VIN is saying you should have a 6 and you have an 8.

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
Making it breathe is the way to make performance, The engines are restricted. gears for rear will get you the other feeling of power

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have a KN filter on my 3.9 and took off the fan clutch and put a 5.2 throttle body and I noticed a little bit of help. Next is the Harland Sharp 1.7 rockers, Accel coil, and see where that puts me and go from there. As it is I have a decent amount of power and when I went to visit my family. In california I averaged 22 mpg. But here in nevada at 4000' I'm only getting 20.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea i plan on puttind dual air intakes into it soon and a new exhaust kit after christmas. im turning it into duals. i cant wait

·
Harrison
2,103 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
would this fit my 1999 dodge dakota v6?

·
The Cherry Express
3,846 Posts
yea i plan on puttind dual air intakes into it soon and a new exhaust kit after christmas. im turning it into duals. i cant wait
Better be careful & not go TOO big on the exhaust size, ANYTHING over 2.5 will hurt low end!! LOTS of people make that mistake with the 3.9 just for the sound, not even realizing the truck is actually SLOWER!!! Same thing with that intake, it was modified for "supercharger" use!!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yea im only going 2.5. and is it not a good idea to put dual air intakes on my dakota?

·
The Cherry Express
3,846 Posts
IF you mean the one with two filters, one facing each side of the motor, it is probably overkill for the 3.9, & it still picks up plenty of heat from the motor itself. I would go with a single K&N FIPK or equivalent, a 180 t-stat, & a SINGLE 2.5 non chambered muffler, "spintech" or one of your choice! You need to keep in mind one of the most basic race fundamentals, "power to weight ratio" you have an extended cab truck with a V-6, so you have 2 strikes against you already.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok thanks

·
Ya it's got a Hemi!
294 Posts
How about a v6 to hemi swap? :evillaugh

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.