DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:IDEA: I changed the plenum gasket, plate, installed Autolite 3293's and it still pings. What else? A new thermostat? if so, what brand, type and from where. I almost wnat to give up on the truck.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Some guys change the thermostat to 180 degrees. I didn't because I don't need lower gas mileage. I installed an Accel coil and opened the plug gap .005" over the factory gap. My truck no longer pings. 95 Ram 1500 5.9L

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The factory gap for my 98 is .040. So go to .045?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Yeah randallgee that's what I gapped my 3923's at 3 weeks ago and it stopped the pinging cold.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
turbinemech said:
Some guys change the thermostat to 180 degrees. I didn't because I don't need lower gas mileage. I installed an Accel coil and opened the plug gap .005" over the factory gap. My truck no longer pings. 95 Ram 1500 5.9L
I just replaced mine with a 180* stat and I actually gained some mpg... :huh:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Grantman31 said:
I just replaced mine with a 180* stat and I actually gained some mpg... :huh:
Well turbinemech has previously posted that it would lower gas mileage and upon being asked for proof either via other sites or people who have experienced it had no response. See this thread.

turbinemech, until you have some proof that mileage will drop, please stop implying that it will. :mad:

KP

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Ya, I also saw no mileage decrease from a 180 t-stat.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will go and purchase a hypertech 180 degree t-stat as well as increase the spark plug gap to .045. that ping is annoying and pisses me off. I love my truck and whant it to run perfect and to last since they are so expensive to replace. I was raised in a FORD family and got the crap for buying a MOPAR. The 318 has been around for so long. That is what sold me.

·
Badass Registered User
205 Posts
Also can try replacing the Cap and rotor button, along with plug wires. Depending on your milage that is a good tune up even if it's not pinging!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I will post when I get it done.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
First off, you have a 5.9 so you're not going to get great mileage anyway.
Secondly, I installed the 180 t-stat in my 5.2 back when I was still station in Germany (2001) and am still getting 12-13 in town and 15-16 on the highway. That's sitting 5.5" higher and rolling 33" meats. For me that's proof enough that it doesn't effect longevity or efficiency.

I will go and purchase a hypertech 180 degree t-stat as well as increase the spark plug gap to .045. that ping is annoying and pisses me off. I love my truck and whant it to run perfect and to last since they are so expensive to replace. I was raised in a FORD family and got the crap for buying a MOPAR. The 318 has been around for so long. That is what sold me.
The 318 will last a long time, that's a given. Mine has 109,000 on it, no leaks or misfires yet.
You may want to look into installing an aftermarket coil if you open the gap. MSD makes one that I would recommend called a Blaster 2. I mounted mine up on the pass side fender for added deep water protection.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.