DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I think I have a bad thermostat on my '07 Grand Caravan SE. Blowing cold air when I turn the heater on, temp gauge stays dead center, but now my coolant level light came on while driving. My reservoir level was at MIN, so I filled it to MAX, started it back up and the light went off. Any recommendations on which thermostat to pick up and not break the bank? I need to pick up the gasket for it too, right?

·
Registered
821 Posts
With every thermostat I've ever met that was stuck or flat out broke open, they still provide warm air. And if the gauge is still sitting at a normal position at full operating temperature, I'd be inclined to believe it's not lying to you. As such, I"m skeptical that the thermostat is your root problem.

When the engine is cold, check the coolant level in the radiator itself; not the reservoir. They can get low enough to keep the engine running at normal temperature, but not allow coolant flow through the heater core. Fill it as needed and be ready to top it off once or twice later. Depending on whether you have front and rear or just front heat, there's going to be a fair amount of air to purge from the cooling system. If it's really low, you probably want to get it to a shop for a leak test. There's a lot of places these vans like to spring a leak.

You can also feel free to check your heater controls to make sure the temperature control is set for heat. It's an easy mistake to make and happens more than you realize. It's one of those moments that you cant find your glasses when they're already on your face or somebody else drove the car before you and pushed some buttons that you haven't noticed yet. It happens.

If, for some reason, you decide you need a t-stat anyway, it and a gasket shouldn't cost more than $10 or so. You'll likely spend more on a gallon of coolant than the stat and gasket. You just need to make sure it opens at the correct temperature. I believe you'd want a 195° t-stat. Talk to the parts counter guy to help you out if/as needed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Other things to consider is the Heater Core temp sensor, the heater air door actuator actuator, or the heater valve. I agree with no_common_sense that your car would not be able to maintain a good temp if the thermostat was bad.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi there, I think I have a bad thermostat on my '07 Grand Caravan SE. Blowing cold air when I turn the heater on, temp gauge stays dead center, but now my coolant level light came on while driving. My reservoir level was at MIN, so I filled it to MAX, started it back up and the light went off. Any recommendations on which thermostat to pick up and not break the bank? I need to pick up the gasket for it too, right?
Thermostats are usually under ten dollars get on at any auto parts store in

1 - 4 of 4 Posts