DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 Dodge Caravan with a 3.3. The standard thermostat is rated at 195 F. I've changed the heater core. Man, what a job that was! And I've put in a new thermostat. The heat gauge indicator stays in the middle where it should, but it just doesn't seem to be putting out enough heat into the cab. My question is, Can I put in a higher rated thermostat, that is, if there's one available, and would that cause any problems to the engine? It seems to me that a higher rated thermostat would up the heat in the cab since the water in the block would have to get hotter to get the thermostat open. What do you think?

By the way, I only have a front heater.

·
Registered
194 Posts
You may have a bit of air in the system. Fix is to elevate the front end on jacks/ramps. Remove the rad cap and start engine. Run it until hot and add any antifreeze to top it off. Shut down, replace the cap and lower to ground. Fill the overflow tank to the mid-point between hot/cold. You should be good to go. If this doesn't fix it you may have a clogged heater core.

·
Registered
629 Posts
If the temp is in the middle its not the stat if you aren't getting enough heat , sounds like maybe the blend door is not working right.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I would be sure that the cooling system is properly bled out and be sure that the theromstat is not defective/broken

since you have put in a new core, the core should not be the problem

be sure that you have not kinked the hoses

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.