DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 129 Posts
Discussion starter · #81 ·
what about crap bouncing around in the many storage boxes in the mega. I had a rattle in my truck for months and looked everywhere only to find an old license plate in one of the boxes behind the rear seat.

Also you mentioned that you think you have a slight lift, 4x4 mega's sit high from the factory but if you do have a lift check to see if it is a body lift and one if the cab or bed mounts isn't loose...hell check them even if there is no lift. if you have a suspension lift with stock shocks then it is very likely that you are topping out your shocks. While you are looking at your shocks make sure the rubber bushings are in good shape. A missing bushing makes a clunk that you can feel in the pedals.

If you have tube steps on your truck grab a hold of them and shake the piss out of them. If one of them is loose, even a little they can make a clunk sound.

Do you have the power adjustable pedals? If so maybe the pedal assembly is loose. check to make sure all of the seats are bolted down. Do you have a tool box? If so take it out and make sure that the clunk isn't coming from there.

Basically look at everything that is bolted to the truck that wasn't there when it rolled off of the assembly line, including replacement parts. Anything that has had a wrench or screwdriver on it since it was new is suspect.

Good luck and happy hunting. Squeaks, clunks ans whisles are a bitch!
ok so my lift is the coil over spacer's in the front and leaf block's in the rear...pretty simple. i will check the rear block's but had it all inspected to find out if it was even lifted at all so you would think they would have caught it then? hell its worth another look:) checked the side steps first, no luck! not adjustable pedals, searched the entire thing over and over, zip tied and strapped and bolted every loose thing i could find! even hood mounts and bumper's! i never did check the seats though...... might as well! i have one tie rod end to replace before i have a completely new front end. it will be done tomorrow.....:ugh and if that's not it:

For Sale-
2006 dodge ram 1500 mega cab slt 4x4 rides great (no clunks) lol
3"lift, aluminum cold air intake, bed liner, side steps, custom wheels and over sized mud tires, complete front end rebuilt for no reason, ideal for older couple possibly hard of hearing?

Would you be able to put your foot under the brake pedal and pull up on it when it is rattling to see if it stops when doing this? If it does it could narrow it down maybe.

X2 on checking to see if the shocks are topping out. I can see several shops checking the front end but not think of that. How about your cai? could it be clunking on something? I wouldn't think you would notice it even if it were but...

Ok I am really thinking shocks, are they factory? Here is what I would do to TEST...not as a solution. remove your shocks and then take it for a short LOW SPEED ride and see if the clunk goes away...if so you have a winner. if not????? you got me!

I know it is annoying, I sold a jeep once because of a squeak that drove me nuts. it only did it when going from rolling backwards to taking off in first. So on every hill and baking out of every parking spot..SQUEEEEEEEEAK WTF!!!

Discussion starter · #89 ·
Ok I am really thinking shocks, are they factory? Here is what I would do to TEST...not as a solution. remove your shocks and then take it for a short LOW SPEED ride and see if the clunk goes away...if so you have a winner. if not????? you got me!

I know it is annoying, I sold a jeep once because of a squeak that drove me nuts. it only did it when going from rolling backwards to taking off in first. So on every hill and baking out of every parking spot..SQUEEEEEEEEAK WTF!!!

ha ha i would have just bought a new one and made my wife drive it:) ok so im not the most mechanical guy but can you drive it with no shock's? and if its coil over how would i get the shock out? do i need a spring compressor?

Yes you can drive a vehicle without shocks. the handling will be very poor and the ride will be very bouncy. I know you don't need a spring compressor to remove the shocks and it can be done with simple hand tools, you don't even need a jack. However without looking at it I cannot tell you exactly how to do it but it should be a fairly simple process. we basically have the same truck but yours is lifted, I am almost positive that the lift has something to do with it.

If you are not comfortable with doing the shock thing, look for a 4X4 truck shop and take it there. It really does sound like your shocks are topping out or one of them is loose.

Discussion starter · #91 ·
Yes you can drive a vehicle without shocks. the handling will be very poor and the ride will be very bouncy. I know you don't need a spring compressor to remove the shocks and it can be done with simple hand tools, you don't even need a jack. However without looking at it I cannot tell you exactly how to do it but it should be a fairly simple process. we basically have the same truck but yours is lifted, I am almost positive that the lift has something to do with it.

If you are not comfortable with doing the shock thing, look for a 4X4 truck shop and take it there. It really does sound like your shocks are topping out or one of them is loose.
im thinking and hoping your right! you would think that with the spacer being on top of the shock for the lift that it wouldn't be topping out..... its only a leveling puck so the travel should be the same? but they are stock shocks and could just be pre abused and need to be replaced. thanks so much. its in the shop getting the last tie rod replaced now..... i should call and have them check the shocks since they have it on the lift. also what should my control arm bushings look like? im not sure if maybe mine are shot?

Discussion starter · #92 ·
im thinking and hoping your right! you would think that with the spacer being on top of the shock for the lift that it wouldn't be topping out..... its only a leveling puck so the travel should be the same? but they are stock shocks and could just be pre abused and need to be replaced. thanks so much. its in the shop getting the last tie rod replaced now..... i should call and have them check the shocks since they have it on the lift. also what should my control arm bushings look like? im not sure if maybe mine are shot?
Dodge is lucky i love them! ok so shock's are good, spacer block's in rear are tight, and completely new front end! lol so now they did say that my nice new borgeson steering shaft has play at the box? ya hell if i know what that means? they said i could replace it for $215 or rebuild it? tried searching Google for rebuild kits not sure im searching for the right category? any one be able to help me with that?

I was wondering if the clunk could be the same as the problem with the 2nd generation steering columns but have not heard any one else have that problem. There is a guy on this site that made new bushing for the 2nd generation steering column clunk not sure if it would work on yours but you could check dont know his name though sorry.

Discussion starter · #94 ·
I was wondering if the clunk could be the same as the problem with the 2nd generation steering columns but have not heard any one else have that problem. There is a guy on this site that made new bushing for the 2nd generation steering column clunk not sure if it would work on yours but you could check dont know his name though sorry.
it seems like if i had a rubber gasket to insert where the shaft meets the steering box it would eliminate the problem..... there's some truck's my year at a few dealers in the area im gonna go check to see if there's moves like mine? does that gasket idea sound like what he did?

Discussion starter · #96 ·
Here read up on this thread. It explains exactly what the problem was with the 2nd gens and how to diagnose it. The poster is the one that made the new bushing for the columns. You might ask him if he knows if the 3rd generations are having this same problem or if it is totally different.
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106366&highlight=steering+column+clunk
thanks much appreciated! i have some other good/bad news, i got fed up yesterday and crawled under it again and found the "new" upper pitman arm tie rod end thing that connect's to the steering gear box swing arm was popping like a pimple on the face of a teenager! i then got upset and drove up to the shop that put these "new" parts on and pointed it out to them. i have an appointment Friday again....the only thing that makes me wonder is with these mega cabs all there parts are 3/4 ton parts but its called a 1500? so when they called to order another one the parts place was saying i had a rack and pinion steering system and he was saying obviously not. so when i buy parts is it easier to just call it a 2500?

Discussion starter · #97 ·
Here read up on this thread. It explains exactly what the problem was with the 2nd gens and how to diagnose it. The poster is the one that made the new bushing for the columns. You might ask him if he knows if the 3rd generations are having this same problem or if it is totally different.
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106366&highlight=steering+column+clunk
checked out that thread, when i replaced the stock steering shaft with the borgeson after market it eliminated that from being the problem. it's a solid shaft that goes completely through the fire wall and hook's directly into the back of the steering wheel and eliminates the intermediate knuckle leaving only two. its pretty nice! what a pain though, to have to fix something that was simple just overlooked and making such a noise! thanks again.

Discussion starter · #98 ·

ok so i have another question for ya MegaCabMan, before the mod's did your truck seem a little underpowered? not allot, i mean she get's up and moves for a big girl but compared to say a 1500 quad cab (that i traded to get her) it's no where near the power? i know horse power to weight ratio is gonna play a huge factor in difference but you would think they would tune them slightly diff to make up for the sheer size? i was debating on getting a diablo predator tuner for it to make up for the diff but wasn't sure if mine could be trying to tell me it need's something more? what's your thoughts?

brake pull, bearings, bj's, toe adjustment, tires. get a service manual. it gives you a lot of diffrent things that it could be.

81 - 100 of 129 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.