DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

The unanswerable question!

8K views 128 replies 38 participants last post by  DodgeorNothing 
#1 ·
i have a 2006 dodge ram 1500 mega cab slt 4x4 with about 50,000 miles. it is an awesome truck and is in good condition. only one problem, there is a small clunk feeling in the gas and brake pedal that doesn't necessarily follow the bumps? truck also pulls to the left.
i had 2 diff mechanic's inspect truck and both deemed perfect. found on another forum that it could be the steering shaft, so i replaced with after market borgeson shaft and got it aligned. feeling and noise lessened but still exist, and still pulls to the left. its driving me crazy! no other symptoms, please help!:ugh

#2 ·
i have a 2006 dodge ram 1500 mega cab slt 4x4 with about 50,000 miles. it is an awesome truck and is in good condition. only one problem, there is a small clunk feeling in the gas and brake pedal that doesn't necessarily follow the bumps? truck also pulls to the left.
i had 2 diff mechanic's inspect truck and both deemed perfect. found on another forum that it could be the steering shaft, so i replaced with after market borgeson shaft and got it aligned. feeling and noise lessened but still exist, and still pulls to the left. its driving me crazy! no other symptoms, please help!:ugh

#3 ·

#21 ·
took it to a couple local mechanics had the entire front end ispected and tested And they both said it was all in really good shape and that nothing was even close to being wrong. they did feel and hear the clunk however and both admited to honestly not knowing what it is but if i ever did find it to let them know.

#5 ·
x2

#7 ·
Moved to an area where someone may be able to help you

#8 ·
Pulls are typically tire related, I'd rotate the tires front to back & make sure your air pressures are the same.

#9 ·
BJ's?

Where? and from who?

#11 ·
Damn someone beat me to it!! A guy who lives around here who drives a big ass lifted silverado has a sticker on it that says I <3 BJ's but at first glance you would think it says I <3 NY (it's the same style)

#13 ·
does this happen in 4wd or 2

#14 ·
wheel bearings i say,

#18 ·
ya i thought so to, there was a recall for my year pickup for undergreased wheel bearings, i had mine checked and they said it wasn't one of the models effected. but the syptoms would be vibrations at higher speeds and be allot noiser then it is. still at a loss. thanks though.

#15 ·
possibly a caliper frozen

#16 ·
Loose nut behind the wheel ?

#20 ·
like rammintwins said it may be the front wheel bearings from what i hear there quite common on these trucks but with 50k id give every thing up front a good once over axles calipers rotors front shaft and suspension parts to try and isolate the noise/vibration

#25 ·
ya i agree, i was hoping i could find something a little less spendy. i have invested about 350 in a new borgeson steering shaft because i was desperate to cure it and had read on some other forums that could be the problem. one guy described the same problems with his and said that he made that change and it went away.

#24 ·
pull the front wheels off and spin the rotors if one is way harder to spin or spins way to freely that caliper maybe your issue if im not mistaken they mostly freeze in the applyed position

#33 ·
im putting my money on the wheel bearings, i would also check the end links, they have boots covering the joints, its possible one may be broke, the duece, had a broken end link and it was pulling to the left with some popping noises. i would just jack it up and give the entire suspension a look over

#36 ·
so good thought, i took it to two different mechanics to have the noise checked and both said entire front end is in tip top shape? i was suprised they didn't take me for a couple hundred dollars in unnecessary repairs! they werent sure what the noise was but every thing they could check and rule out they did. they said sometimes things just move around and you never do figure out what they are? but if i did ever find out what it was to let them know.

#34 ·
definatly a good call

#37 ·
yea... i have an 07 1500 QC and it clunked from at about three months old. took it to two different dealers (both 5-star Chrysler/Dodge dealers) and they checked out everything and basically told me i was hearing things as they couldn't repeat the clunk. drove it home and i get a clunk from the front end SOMEWHERE when i pull into the driveway. i even got specific as it would only happen coming OFF speedbumps (suspension expanding). the only thing somebody guessed at was maybe a bad sway bar or sway bar bushings. Weird thing is that at the time, my truck had never been offroad let alone near dirt. so looking at the sway bar and bushings was like looking at new components. the clunk went away after a while and from time to time, it comes back for a week.

you can try this as it is an easy thing to check.. try unscrewing the hood support screws half to a full turn each. there should be two at the front of the engine bay cross-member above the radiator. the idea is that the hood could be floating due to worn support bushings and that could provide the clunk that is heard over bumps or uneven road. i unscrewed these and surprisingly enough, (although i didn't really pay attention at the time i did this mod) the clunking stopped. something to try right. and its free

#39 ·
well with the calipers ruled out and two techs ruling out the front end it may be worth while to check out the back end and see if anything is out of whack back there at this point im just as miffed as you:WHT:

#41 ·
ya i guess, i don't know what else to check! I've zip-tied, taped, tightened everything i could find loose under the hood, in the cab and everything....... you know now thinking about it i wonder if maybe one of my muffler mounts came off? i never checked that and it could cause the clunk........... ok i have to know, thanks man talk at ya later, after i tear some hair out and kick a few things:mad:

#46 ·
i would also check the local parts store for a set of wheel bearings , i think at auto zone they run around 80 bucks and they are easy to install, the shop might rape you on the bearings and labor costs

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.