DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
04' 5.7 Hemi with the tick that keeps getting louder.

I run M1 5-30 now. Will changing to 5-20 or even the new M1 5-40 for trucks/SUV's help with the tick?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

· Registered
4,328 Posts
Some posters have said it cured their TICK

· All Around Great Guy
12,739 Posts
I have a tick and a knock

· Registered
2,122 Posts
I have an 04 HEMI myself. The tick was pretty annoying and loud until I swapped out for Royal Purple 5W-30. It is still there some but not half as bad as it was with the MOPAR oil in. I am going to try the 5W-20 here on MOnday when I have the next OC done. Most guys say 5W-20 gets rid of it.

Couple notes on your post...

#1 - you say you have always had the tick but it is getting louder now. That doesn't sound good or frankly normal. You have the tick or you don't and as a rule the tick doesn't get worse over time. Kind of you have what you have and it only gets quieter with a different oil. Can't say as I recall hearing guys say it got better then loud again unless there was something else that happened. Keep an eye on it as there has been problems with dropping valves and lifters collapsing in the HEMI. Are you sure it is the "TICK" that is getting louder or are you hearing a new issue?

#2 - don't run the 40 series/weight oil unless you want to risk your warranty. In 03 & 04 the manual lists 5W-30 & 10W-30 as your only options. 05 started using 5W-20 in the HEMI. DC has suggested earlier model years switch to it so the 5W-20 is also okay( best to check with dealer who will handle your warranty work to ensure they are up to speed on that issue before swapping to it though ). The 40 series/weight would not be an approved weight oil to use.

· Registered
1,733 Posts
The tick sounds like hydraulic roller lifters that have sticking bores. It is hard to make a hydraulic roller lifter that is both light and strong enough for +6000 rpm operation like the 5.7 allows. Add to this the fact that many 5.7 Hemi's are run up to 6000 rpm during test runs when they have very few miles on the engine and you have a great potential for damage to the smoothness of the lifter internal bores.

The lifter is the most percision fit in the entire 5.7
I always 'baby' my new engines for the first 5000 miles. The old advice about 'breaking in the cam' is mostly wrong now with rollers, and the coated piston rings seat quite well without special treatment. But the internal piston inside the hydraulic lifter is still something that needs to seat well before it is stressed.

There have been many reports of 5.7 Hemi's breaking valves and springs after the engine has 10,000-50,000 miles. I suspect at the root of these failures are hydraulic lifter problems that were created in the first 500 miles.

· Registered
16,087 Posts
Jeeeeez John... How many times are you gonna change your avatar this week!!!!!!

(hahahah)

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I put this in another post, but I switched to M1 5-20 with great results. The tick is almost non-existent.

I followed up with a call to my dealership and confirmed they recommend and use the 5-20 in all Hemi's now and that it WILL NOT effect my warranty if I use it even thought my manual says 5-30.

· Registered
46 Posts
Nice avatar though :rck: :rck: :rck: Never thought I'd see another Korean fellow here. And you're from the bay too!!! Double power to ya! lol I thought I was the only Korean guy here. You don't see too many of us driving HEMI around...

· Banned
7,225 Posts
I RAM U said:
Nice avatar though :rck: :rck: :rck: Never thought I'd see another Korean fellow here. And you're from the bay too!!! Double power to ya! lol I thought I was the only Korean guy here. You don't see too many of us driving HEMI around...
hhaa, never seen your sn around bud. have you checked out my gallery to see how hardcore i looked.. hahaha.
well, we're having a norcal DT meet in August err can't remember exactly when but you're more than welcome to come. we're going to meet up with the east bay members and caravan over there to Vacaville.. :D
btw, my hemi is faster than yours :D

John :gr_patrio

· Registered
46 Posts
I'd love to meet up and chill with you guys but I live in So Cal right now. Can't wait to move back up north... don't know when that's gonna be but... BTW, I thought you were cool until you said something about my HEMI j/k lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.