DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought it might be a good idea to start a list of mods that offer some performance gains, and are free or very dam cheap! i'm sure you guys have some good ideas, so let's hear 'em:thatfunny. cost and required tools might be good too, if you have some extra info.

ohh - there's not really a specific order.

1. port throttle body - $<25 - (drill, $4 harbor freight brake hone, rotary tool, polishing stuff, 6-pack of beer)

2. get rid of the second gas tank AKA stock muffler - $<100 - (hacksaw or something else that cuts metal, $40 flowmaster from performance peddler off ebay, couple feet of freebie exhaust pipe from a shop's dumpster,
buddy who can make a weld seal - or clamps, 12-pack of beer)

3. Intake Air Temp. (IAT) sensor mod - $<10 - (a few feet of wire, bolt to block off old bung, drill, crimp connectors, pliers/crimpers, electrical tape, a beer on a lunch break)

4. 180 degree thermostat - $<10 - (t-stat, t-stat gasket, extra coolant)

5. Throttle Position Sensor check/mod - $? - (voltmeter,...?)

6. Get rid of the engine bay shroud to let cool air in - $0 - MeanGreen5.2

7. Adjust Throttle Valve(TV) cable - $0 - MeanGreen5.2 (2 beers)

8. ???

disclaimer: difficulty may be measured in beer....

??WHO IS THE KEGGER MOD KING??

·
Black Sunshine!
994 Posts
Not a bad thread idea but I thought the Intake Air Temp mod was a flop :huh: thought the guy who started that thread changed it back due to having problems.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought the Intake Air Temp mod was a flop :huh: thought the guy who started that thread changed it back due to having problems.
i don't know about that. i don't see how a more accurate temp reading would hurt. i'm not talking about taking it out of the air tube and putting it on a pole in front of the truck or anything, just out of the manifold where it's reading engine heat too. anyone else have input?

·
Black Sunshine!
994 Posts
I could be wrong about how that thread ended but last I saw the guy who started it started having problem a month or two after moving it. Anyone else know if that mod ended up working or not? :huh:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
i moved the ait sensor and i have never had a problem with it. a AIR INTAKE SENSOR is to do that, Measure the temp of the air sucked into the motor. Not the temp of the inside of the kegger!

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
free mods: Remove flaps on both sides of rad to let air in
Tb cable adjustment
difficulty 2 beers

·
Board Breaker TKD
1,547 Posts
Black Mamba CAI (homemade)

2nd on removing radiator flaps.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cut off cat and test pipe it

14x3 air cleaner

under drive pullys

junk yard e-fan
when you deleted your cat, did it throw a code? did you get a simulator?

what's the cost on the air cleaner?

an e-fan is a good idea, but a controller and stuff is going to cost $$$. underdrives are kind of expensive too. do you have a source for some good deals?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey wermbang what did you use to hook your intake pipe the the intake manifold and how much did it help? I just slapped in a k&n drop in air filter and took a flexible insulated vent pipe in and ran it out beside the radiator made my own ram air intake. I gained a mile to the gallon and bumped my power a bit but not sure how much. cost like $10 and a k&n sorry no beer I don't drink lol

·
Board Breaker TKD
1,547 Posts
$10 pipe from Home Depot, electrical conduit 3 inch prebent 90 degrees
$3 rubber connector
$20 Air hat from Dakota/Durango from a junk yard
$25 Filter from parts store.( you can use any filter you like, I used the spectre)
paint
I would say a 1-2 mpg difference if I keep my foot out.

·
Board Breaker TKD
1,547 Posts
Yours goes up the pipe, slows down at the filter. Mine flows right to the TB

·
Black Sunshine!
994 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
yea thats true but it shouldn't change much because it should force air through the filter. Yours might be much better on the low end tho. At least thats the way I see it. And now I see theres a company thats making one thats vary similar to the setup that I have. I cant remember who makes it but there are pics of it on this site some where.

·
Registered
327 Posts

·
Board Breaker TKD
1,547 Posts
Nope, would have to get through the filter and up the pipe. I have driven in blizzards and rainstorms and been good so far, actually during a rain I checked it to be safe and everything was still dry. I would still like to get a prefilter for it.
It sits back aways too

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.