Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 Dodge 1500 4X4 5.2L

I have followed alot of past posts regarding this problem and am currently installing the hughes kit thanks to the forum. There has also been some discussion about 180 thermostats and ac delco plugs to help with the pinging.
Has anyone expermented with the cooler thermostat and found a brand of plugs that seem to work good in the 318?
I plan to change the water pump as the bearing is squeaking alot and maybe new wires and a cap for good luck.
Any other good tech tips would be great
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just did this last weekend. Be very careful of the oil pressure sending unit
when unscrewing the EGR tube or you'll snap it off. Ask me how I know. I put off doing this for a long time because I knew what a PIA it would be, but boy
was it worth it. The truck runs like new.

·
CHROME
954 Posts
Get a brass cap. The 3923 seem to be the most popular. They did help with the ping too but after awhile the ping came back. I have no pinging with the Hughes kit. The 3923 and 180 have worked well for me.

·
02 R/T & 05 Ram
2,725 Posts
now that you're fixing the plenum gasket, you may want to stick with the stock heat range. Most people go to the cooler 3923s because they help eliminate the ping caused by the bad plenum sucking in oil. You've fixed that, so try the stock range 1st. You may even pick up a little extra power over the cooler plugs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies, I just finished the work this weekend and it runs like a new truck. Sure enough the gasket was blown in two places but the the Hughes kit installed nicely. I stuck with the stock heat range plug in autolites,new cap rotor and leads and a couple of cans on cylinder decarbon.
For anyone else doing the kit I think its worth while to also retorque the intake mainfold as per the dodge SB thats deals with this problem.

·
Registered
198 Posts
That is the next thing I need to do to my truck, I noticed deposits on the floor of the intake, I also noticed on the Hughes site that you are to replace the intake bolts as they are a one time torque bolt only.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.