DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to search through old threads about this but it's mostly a bunch of non-sense. (Sorry if they were yours)

I am debating between Mobil 1, Royal Purple or Lucas oil. With matching oil filter of course. What's your input on these 3 companies or do you prefer another? Opinions are great but I'd like to see some solid facts as well.

if you do have a link to an old thread, place it below. I know I hate to repeat myself over and over again on forums!

·
I'd rather be riding...
613 Posts
Whats a "matching" oil filter? I've never heard of such a thing. :huh:

There are only 2 filters that I will use on my truck any more: Mobile1 M1-301 or Purolator PL30001. Doesn't matter what oil I am using. More often than not, I use the Purolator because of the price. It's cheaper but works as well if not better. These are both larger tan stock oil filters too. Search the forums for the info.

As for the oils you listed, they are all good. Mobil 1 is said to not be a true full synthetic from the research I have done. True or not, I don't know but it is good oil. Those are all pricey tho in my opinion.

Personally, I use Shell Rotella T6 5w-40. It's a full synthetic and cheaper than the other 3. And just as good as any of them. I've put over 65,000 miles on my truck myself and it's almost at 115,000 miles now with no mechanical issues.

When it comes to oils and filters, you WILL get allot of opinions, no matter where you look.

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
FWIW, I'm using Pennzoil Hi-Mileage dino oil in my Ram (116K) and regular Pennzoil in my C (66K). The only engine I use synthetic in is my Mazda Speed 3. It gets Pennzoil synthetic. They all get K&N filters.

·
Tex
3,717 Posts
for a while i had been using mobil 1 high mileage or regular mobil 1 and K&N oil filters, mostly because it was cheaper than Royal Purple(which I had used for a while before the prices went sky high on) Well my mpgs have been about 15.9 according to my fuelly, about 2 weeks ago I went to pep boys and got royal purple on special and changed my oil with RP and a K&N filter and my mpgs after two fill ups are up to 17.3 I drive the same route every day in pretty much the same conditions, nothing else was changed except oil and filter.

I had to stop using Royal Purple because around here it's like 9 dollars a quart but I think I'm going to just bite the bullet from now on and stay with it instead of alternating between m1 and RP since there seems to be a good difference.

I'm sure it's probably different for most people, seems like RP works best for me though. M1 and RP are both good oils though.

·
Daytona 8398
946 Posts
I use RP with the RP filter because my truck runs better on RP then it did when I used Mobil 1.

·
Bigg Rigg
2,063 Posts
I run RP and a Napa Gold filter. I put 6000 miles then change it. Been running this setup on 4 different cars.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I run Mobile 1, but may try Royal Purple on the next oil change. Truck only has 45,000 but seems to really use the oil...never did that before while using non-synthetic. Even the labeling on the M1 EP it says 'check oil level frequently'. Is Royal Purple any better in regards to oil usage compared to M1?

·
Tex
3,717 Posts
I run Mobile 1, but may try Royal Purple on the next oil change. Truck only has 45,000 but seems to really use the oil...never did that before while using non-synthetic. Even the labeling on the M1 EP it says 'check oil level frequently'. Is Royal Purple any better in regards to oil usage compared to M1?
Mines uses about a quart at 3k miles with m1. With Royal purple it usually doesn't use any till about 6k. I've run RP for 8k and had to put in a quart.. every truck is different though.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Amsoil with an Amsoil filter, never burns a drop between changes. A little spendy, but well worth it to me. Its in my diffs as well.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The topic may have been previously beaten to death, but I am glad someone brought it up. I used to use Mobil 1 exclusively in my old Mustang, but every other vehicle I've owned has ran on Flintstone oil. Now that I've got my Ram... I really want to take care of the HEMI, so I've been considering which oil I want to use in it beginning with my first change (not due for another 1,000 miles or so).

So far, I am leaning towards resuming the same schedule I had with my Mustang, and using Mobil 1 every 3,000 miles with a K&N filter.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
i've wanted to give it a try but I don't know of where to get it around here. I've heard good stuff about it.
It's all I will use. My wifes Trailblazer was sold with around 212000 on it, running perfectly with Amsoil every 15k. You COULD order it online, it's a bit more expensive that way though. If you look at the Amsoil site, they will show dealers in your area.;)

I don't know where in Dallas you are, but here is a Dallas link:

http://www.syntheticwarehouse.com/Amsoil_Dallas.htm

·
Daytona 8398
946 Posts
I ran my last change to a little over 8k and the same with my wife's Jeep and neither one was low on oil at changing time. My truck and the wife's Jeep were always a little low when I used Mobil 1 at changing time. I went 5k between changes with Mobil 1.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have Royal Purple in a 2010 Challenger(V6)...Mobile 1 in a 2008 Ram 1500(small V8)...Trop-Artic in everything else.

Which oil is best?....I don't know!...Amsoil toots their own whistle the most, at least as far as internet searches go. I do know that my Challenger engine would have some clatter on cold starts until I switched it to Royal Purple...from then on it was quiet. I put Mobile 1 in the Ram 1500 because there wasn't any Royal Purple in town the right viscosity...The Trop Artic regular old oil has served me well in many vehicles, and is remarkably inexpensive compared to the other syntetic based oils.

I imagine that I could fill all my vehicles with the appropriate viscosity Trop-artic and be happy...that is unless the 3.5 Challenger engine clattered when it's cold.

Most probably...I will use Mobile 1 in both the Dodge truck and Dodge Challenger in the future...and Trop-Artic standard oil in everything else. Royal Purple being both expensive and not always available in viscositys I want localy.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
Amsoil and filter here as well..over 212k and still runs strong, just ran at track last week on the same stock block...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I decided to go with Mobil 1 oil and filter. It seems to run better than it did with non-syn oil. I've got 62k on mine and everything runs a little smoother and I got .6 more mpg according to the fuel meter. I drive the same route every day pretty much.

Thanks for all the input, you guys are awesome! :worthy:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Chevron supreme synthetic....onlything that doesnt create the hemi tick....awesome oil too kicks ass. Best ive tried yet by far.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.