DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I've suddenly started to experience the dreaded car heating issue. So advice is very welcome. Me being me, I have long posts….

Here's what happened. After getting stuck at a border crossing for over 15 minutes, the temperature gauge started slowly going up. Wasn't concerned. A/C on and idle traffic, it was expected.

What wasn't expected was that it didn't stabilize at a safe level. After switching the A/C off and still being stuck for nearly 40 minutes, the temperature was getting to the point where I would have to switch off the vehicle. :confused: The 'check Gasses' light came on. First time in my D's life. My gauge doesn’t have any indications of temperature on it. :whackit:

Fortunately after a couple of minutes I was out of there and on the free flowing road again :D

So, I've kept an eye on the gauge and after getting stuck in some traffic, the temperature started going up again…. Oh, it's winter now, so I want to fix this before it starts to get hot again.

The D is an export model. Full details in the sig. T-180 installed about 6 months ago. No issues noticed after the install. D runs cooler. The D has the transmission cooler and the extra electrical fan also. Last time radiator fluid was changed was just under 17 months ago, and only about 35k miles ago. Ok, now I wrote those figures, I could do with a change :IDEA:

There are two fans in my engine bay, one that spins all the time (the clutch one as I think it is referred to as) and an electric one. Both standard fit. Nothing custom or non OEM. This is an export vehicle to a country in really hot temperature (130 F in summer) :cool:

The electric fan comes on, I can hear the jet engine sound. There is sufficient fluid in the reservoir. I don't suspect the water pump is shot. If this was the case, I would have thought the temp would go up much more quickly. Not after 15 minutes and go up slowly.

What do I do? :help: Starting with the small things first a complete flush and re-fill won't harm, but what else??? I hope it is nothing serious.

Thanks for your help guys and gals…

·
Registered
69 Posts
Katcoota,

saw ths post after answering the one about the guy thinking purchasing a D...

Interested to hear that you have 2 fans...in my 99 5.9l D I just have one...the electric one behind the radiator and directly in front of the engine...

The obvious issues are:

1) Radiator cap and / or thermostat need replacing
2) Water pump fins internaly corroded preventing coolant circulation
3) Water pump leaking resulting in pressure drop and raised boiling point (happened to me)
4) Some other leak in the cooling system
5) Blown head gasket leaking (happened to me)
6) This is a sneaky one...check your snap connector at the end of the wiring loom to the fan. Mine burn't out as described in the other post. Open it up and examine it for any evidence of brown stains indicating arcing and also look at the insulation around the wires leading into it from both sides - if its brittle it means heat...
7) Check (or have checked) your relays controlling the fan(s) - they are behind the battery.
8) Only after all of this consider replacing the radiator or cooling fan (maybe the motor brushes are at the end of their lives)
9) oh..and one more, pressure wash the A/C condensor (that's the radiator at the front where the air enters the D and then preceeds to the coolant radiator behind) - you may not be getting sufficient airflow due to wind born sh*t blocking the fins)

If all fails, go down the Citroen garage as we discussed last time, mention my name (Chris) and watch them fall around laughing - after that they'll probably help you, hell they solved my D, but don't forget to take a fist full of Riyals.

Chris

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well, the jet roar is usually with the mechanical fan... At start up and when you hit about 210... That clutch fan will spin higher whenfirst started and when the clutch fan tempertures hits about 210. You'll notice a lose in power when it is spinning...

The electric fan is mounted as a pusher fan on the front of the AC condensor. This activates with the AC on - only when the AC is on (I believe). The relays are known to fail on this, so put the AC on and see if it spins. If not, that is one issue... Should turn off when you turn the AC off as well...

As for the clutch fan, if it is not engaging when it get around 210-215, you have a clutch fan issue - replace it. These too are known to go bad every now and then and could be the source of the issue...

If you don't see coolant or hear a shreiking noise, water pump **should** be fine... those are typicalindicators of a failing water pump... Other things to check - radiator fins - clean? Make sure those are are free of as many bugs and debris as possible... And making sure the a/c condensor fins are clean is most important - if air does not get through them, it does not cool the radiator...

·
Registered
211 Posts
I had the same problems for 2 summers. Sitting at the red light and watch the temp rise and AC blow warm air. I changed the t-stat, flushed the system, etc, etc, etc. Then I found out the relay the the electric fan was burnt out. The damn $11 part caused me alot of aggravation, but I don't have any more problems.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've established that the issue is my electric fan not working. The reason is yet to be worked out though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.