DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday at the New York Auto Show (TV) had Don "Big Daddy" Gartlis talking to a representative of and endorsing that little fan you stick in your intake. I think it's called the "Tornado", not sure. I don't know what to say about that, I guess some folks will do anything they're told. "Disgrace" is a good word. :huh:

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
Terrible that a man that knows as much about engines, efficiency, and making power, like Don Garlits does, would be extolling the "virtues" of an obvious scam like the Tornado.

Sad, very sad indeed.

·
Registered
32,962 Posts
Well remember the old saying,"money talks and BS walks" It applies to this! :crazy:

·
USAF MOPAR MILITARY BRAT
3,441 Posts
Yea, obviously they paid a pretty penny for him to talk bs!!

·
KTM Rider
163 Posts
C'mon guys, I put one those on my Hemi and got an extra 40 hp. I'm not BS'ing either. They really do work just like Don says they do. :gr_bs:

Now, about that Ocean front property in Arizona?

·
Registered
68 Posts
The Stupid Things Are What We Let Slip By

Just for all of your info,

I have a 2004 Quad 1500 short bed 4x4 Hemi Laramie.
She is fully loaded with the 20's and the 3.92 posi.
All I have done to her is a drop in K+N filter, synthetic oil, prolong additive, in the engine, trans, transfercase, and both diffs. I added the Turbonator (same as the tornado), and the stupid fuel magnet (what a sucker I am). My truck weights 5118 lbs plus myself at 220 lbs (need to diet a bit) my dog at 100 lbs (him too) my bowling balls and bag at 35 lbs ( I am a fat bald guy what else am I going to do, jog?), this equals 5473 lbs. On 87 oct, I ran with my g tech a best of 15.12 sec quarter at 90.25 mph in 80 degree weather. This comes out to 313.99 hp to the rear wheels. The base line was 273 hp before any changes, stock after 6000 or so miles, to the rear wheels. All of this is done at 1254 feet above sea level. So I know the sythetic oil gives me some power as well as the K+N, but where did the other power come from?
Go figure. I also did this test several times and got very little difference, actually, nearly the same results. I have since added a Magnaflow cat back exhaust, and feel the truck is slower. Don't know for sure until I test again, been cold up here in the mountains.
I do get a best of 21.3 MPH at 65 MPH on a good run, doing the round trip test loop it advs 20.1.

Your thoughts

·
BORN 1/24/2009 6LBS 14ozs
2,843 Posts
mopar fan said:
Well remember the old saying,"money talks and BS walks" It applies to this! :crazy:
Looks like money is walking and holding hands with B.S.!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Gosh I am impressed, NOT, all of that stuff in your truck and still cant post any numbers, and I am nearly stock. Boy I am glad I didnt get a 4.7

·
2,843 Posts
HEMI4SURE said:
Gosh I am impressed, NOT, all of that stuff in your truck and still cant post any numbers, and I am nearly stock. Boy I am glad I didnt get a 4.7
What?? Are you refering to me?? 2nd post and already trying to offend people. You have issues dude, take them somewhere else. :crazy:

·
Registered
32,962 Posts
HEMI4SURE said:
You'll make a lot of friends here with posts like that!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have no issues, just responding to a thread, new to this thought your response was at my post. I am sorry and did not mean to offend.

·
2,843 Posts
mopar fan said:
You'll make a lot of friends here with posts like that!
Thanks Alan,
BTW, I fell victim to the Tornado myself. Showed no difference in my ET's with or without it. They only might and that's a big might, work with carbureted vehicles where it can help mix the air and fuel. As far as fuel injected vehicles are concerned its a proven fact that they do not work on our trucks, albeit Hemi or 4.7L. If you think yours is helping you out you are only kidding yourself.

SQC

·
Registered
32,962 Posts
HEMI4SURE said:
I have no issues, just responding to a thread, new to this thought your response was at my post. I am sorry and did not mean to offend.
Ok Everything is cool! You just came off as a hard ass, and we don't do that here! No problem Bro! Ok?

·
Registered
32,962 Posts
SHADOW QUAD CAB said:
Thanks Alan,
BTW, I fell victim to the Tornado myself. Showed no difference in my ET's with or without it. They only might and that's a big might, work with carbureted vehicles where it can help mix the air and fuel. As far as fuel injected vehicles are concerned its a proven fact that they do not work on our trucks, albeit Hemi or 4.7L. If you think yours is helping you out you are only kidding yourself.

SQC
Hey that's what I'm here for! ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ok Everything is cool! You just came off as a hard ass, and we don't do that here!
Unless you drive a 3.7, then it's open season on you. And that is done a LOT here.

·
Registered
244 Posts
HEMI4SURE said:

Dont be a "edited" ! :bman:

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
SHADOW QUAD CAB said:
Thanks Alan,

SQC
That was the whole idea behind the helix spacers actually. It gave the intake manifold more volume (a psuedo high-rise manifold so to speak), and made the intake charge more turbulent to hold the air-fuel mix in suspension better. They do absolutely nothing for an engine that mixes the fuel AFTER the intake manifold. And since the 'puter will always adjust according to the mass and temperature of the incoming air, changing the volume of the plenum does nothing either (on a carbureted engine, volume affected the velocity of the incoming air and changed the negative pressures at the carb venturis).

So now I see TEN Magazines have even done an article on the install of a PowerAid spacer. But the article won't include any tested results, and it actually is pretty innocuous as to the actual benefit.

Pathetic....

·
Registered
68 Posts
no problem

Mopar fan, everything is cool, like I said I am new and got your post all wrong. Again sorry.
I will pull out the Tornado and do another G Tech test to see if there is a difference. I will post the results.

·
2,843 Posts
kruser79 said:
That was the whole idea behind the helix spacers actually. It gave the intake manifold more volume (a psuedo high-rise manifold so to speak), and made the intake charge more turbulent to hold the air-fuel mix in suspension better. They do absolutely nothing for an engine that mixes the fuel AFTER the intake manifold. And since the 'puter will always adjust according to the mass and temperature of the incoming air, changing the volume of the plenum does nothing either (on a carbureted engine, volume affected the velocity of the incoming air and changed the negative pressures at the carb venturis).

So now I see TEN Magazines have even done an article on the install of a PowerAid spacer. But the article won't include any tested results, and it actually is pretty innocuous as to the actual benefit.

Pathetic....
Kruser,
I agree with you 100%. Kinda what I stated, just a shorter explanation. That's why I blew out my spacer to 70MM. Now it's just there for the ride and I left it on cause I think the ano red looks kinda cool.

SQC

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
I gotta admit, I'd leave it too. It ain't hurtin' nuthin being there. And I'd leave it just for the look, that splash of red has got to stand out.
Been looking for some things to brighten up the engine compartment myself. But the (what the heck do they cost these days anyway) money for a spacer is going into pure cosmetics, like a hose sleeve kit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.