DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my steps are officially rotting and rusting away damn winter and salt. Looks like its some more chrome I can ditch. Still haven't decided if I want to get powdercoated steps or just ditch them all together.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you have salt you must have stainless steel.

Kevin

·
what's your left leg doin
2,288 Posts
I got the black westin's because of this issue (instead of chrome).
This way I can sand and repaint them a few times.

....and yes mine are rusting a bit on the bottom.....but a lot of that has to do with scarping them on rock off-roading.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't go off roading other than job sites which really doesnt count. But at my other job I was out smoking a cig and noticed the passenger side steps were rusting up bad so I'll prolly get the black ones and get them bed-line like 06 QuadRam mentioned, I'm ok with ditching some more chrome haha

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Powder coated steel will rust just the same as, and usually just as fast as, chromed steel. Unless you actually do get them sprayed then nothing except stainless or aluminum should be considered if you live in a region where they use road salt in the winter. All it takes in one small chip in the power coating to allow the rust in and then it spreads like cancer.

·
Registered
32,962 Posts
Westins are the only brand I will buy. The Black powder coated bars are warrentied for 5 years and the Chrome CPS bars are warrentied for life.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
CPS Chrome plated stainless is the way to go where there is salt or get black and you can clean it up when it starts

·
Ram n Ram Ram
1,384 Posts
Thats one of the reasons why I steered clear of them.
The other reason saved me alot of money on gas and im still in 4 digit mileage range at 4500 miles on my 08. :D (had since Columbus Day 08 and family doesnt like getting into a vehicle you have to climb into.)
However I jump for joy getting in that truck. Sorry Bad Pun.
I will be quiet now.

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Maybe you should buy a plastic truck ... or move to Texas.

:D

·
2004 Black_Hemi_QC
1,688 Posts
Stainless steel ones are the way to go.....I have them on my truck.....never had an issue

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Still haven't made my mind up, have a few other things to replace first.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.