DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As some of you may remember, I posted a couple days ago about purchasing a CTD, and how I can't bring myself to spend 20k+ on a used one with 100k+ miles on it.

I went to my local dodge dealer today, and test drove an '03 CTD. I can only say one word: WOW! I was really really impressed by it.

A couple of obervations, and questions about them:

1. The transmission felt like it had a shift-kit in it. It wasn't a super hard shift, but it was notice able. When it was cold, it clunked into gear (the sales man pulled it off the lot before he let me drive it). Does this seem normal?

Is there an auxillary transmisison cooler on these trucks, or does the radiator do all the cooling?

2. The power; WOW! This thing was crazy with the torque. It wasn't even taching at 2k rpms even when I was really goosing it, and it moved effortlessly. When I floored it, that turbo spooled, and the truck felt like a rocket.

Speaking of which, what is the towing capacity for a 2500 with a 3.73 geared rear end?

The truck had 31k on it, was in immaculate condition, and they were selling it for 29k. Does this seem like a good deal?

Sometime around February, I am definatly getting a CTD. I just want to save up, and have a little cash to put down, as well as pay my current truck off. In the mean time, at least I am driving a nice ram.

Thanks for reading, and for any and all replies! :cool:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Do you know if the truck is a 235 hp, 250 hp, or 305 hp truck ? It will say "ISB 235" "ISB 250" or "ISB 305" on the decal on the valve cover.

Double check with your salesman regarding if the warranty is transferrable. The 2003's had 3/36 Bumper To Bumper, 7/70 powertrain, and 5/100 on the CTD. Not sure if the "clunk" you speak of is normal, as I have the six-shooter. I'd venture to say it's not normal, although it could be something as simple as a worn transmission mount or u-joint maybe.

The auto trucks do have an auxillary transmission cooler, usually sandwiched between the a/c condensor and intercooler, if memory serves me right. They also have a power steering cooler on them, too.

As far as towing capacity, my six shooter (305/555) is rated at 13,150 lbs..........the auto 305/555 should be fairly close to that (probably just a tad less...if it's equipped with the 250 hp engine, even less I'd suspect).

As far as $29k being a good deal, it ain't. :D

You need to fly in to KY and purchase my truck for $28k and have one of these :D on your face all the way home to AZ....already BOMB'ed, has great power, and still under warranty. I'm thinking hard about an '07.5 w/350--650 and six speed auto. :D

Greg

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply! The truck only clunked into gear when the sales man put it in gear. I suspect maybe he didn't have his foot all the way on the brake, because when I put it in gear (I did it about 10 times in a row, it didn;t do it).

I didn't look at the sticker on the valve cover, although when I am ready to purchase, this is good to know.

As far as the warranty being transferrable, I know for a fact it is because this truck is a certified used vehicle. All of the Dodge CTD's come with the 5 year/100k mile warranty and the 7 year 70k mile warranty?

·
Registered
183 Posts
looks like gsbrockman got you going in the right direction on everything except price of vehicle, I also bought an 03 a few months back with a H.O CTD larmie package with 36000 miles on it , they were asking 29,000 for it got them down to 27,500 , im sure you get could there asking price down some . they want to sell it as bad as you want to buy it. good luck. im glad i went to a CTD, i also traded my 02 in on the 03, best move i ever made

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rmdrake, I figured that they would budge 1 or 2k on the truck. Too bad I have to wait until I have some money down, or I would have bought the truck on the spot; I still am thinking about going back for it, lol. :cool:

Just a caution for everyone reading this thread that is thinking of buying a CTD, once you drive one, you will do anything within your power to get one. :thatfunny

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.