DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my thermastat changed over the weekend because there was seeping in its gasket. The last 2 days of driving it has not read higher than 160 degrees. I mean, it is a 160 T-stat but I was told this was the OE. My last one was running a consistent 190-200. The exact T-stat is a fail safe 160 degree. It is running at the furthest end of the spectrum, just up from 130. Is this normal?

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Stock t-stat is 195. 160 t-stats are know to throw codes because the PCM thinks it is taking to long to warm up. 180 or 195 t-stats are best.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I thought too, the last one was a 195, but when I bought this one it said OEM next to it on the stores monitor so I went with it. Can this cause anything to go wrong besides codes going off? If all that happens is the engine runs cool and a codes get thrown I can live with that for now. Thanks!

·
Registered
85 Posts
The 160 is not a stock replacement. With the lower thermostat, the computer remains in a closed loop thinking that the engine is not at optimal running temp. this causes a richer, denser fuel mixture. If our not concerned about fuel milage, it will give you a little more hp.
there are programmers that will reprogram the computer to compensate for the lower running temp.
I've been running my v-10 with a 160 therm and gutted cats with no problems.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Sounds like you got some kid at the counter that replaced his brain with the computer. He should have been smart enough to know that any fairly new vehicle doesnt use a thermi that low. In any case I would replace it at least up to a 180 degree for 2 reasons: You might throw a code, and the lower temp causes greater engine wear from acidic build up that doesn't vaporize.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You will run into code issues with a 160 degree t-stat. These trucks are designed to run a 195 degree-tstat as mentioned. A few things you'll notice with the lower t-stat, decreased power, in the winter you'll freeze your a$$ off, this funny stuff called sludge you won't notice will build up in the engine. You need a certain amount of heat for efficiency, and to burn off all the combustion gasses.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How long have you been running it? I would like to keep mine in and most likely will until atleast summer time, just trying not to create any unforeseen problems. Everything is running well for me too, just a little cooler.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.