DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to know the opinions you all have on this product. I usually don't buy Chevron gas, but I was thinking about buying a bottle of Techron to run through the fuel every once in a while. I know that a lot of you like to use seafoam to clear out the engine, but I thought that using some of this stuff might help reduce the buildup. Also, I saw that Chevron also has Pro-Gard line of products. Is this better, or do you reccomend just using the Techron (concentrate plus).

I was thinking that maybe I should just run a tank of Chevron's high test (supposedly it has a higher content of techron), but don't want to "confuse" the computer as I usually run 87.

Oh by the way, the truck 4.7l has less than 10k on it. :)

Thanks!

· Registered
1,340 Posts
I use Chevron gas a lot and have had no trouble with it. Chevron is one of the top tier gas brands. Shell, Amoco, Exxon and Mobil have also done will in my vehicles. Our 4.7L Durango gets the same and also does well. I don't use additives.

· Registered
441 Posts
How are you going to confuse the computer? I usually put 93 in mine always regardless, and I don't think mine is confused. I used to put 87 in always, but made the switch and she seems to likey the new stuff.

· Registered
135 Posts
I'm not a fuel additive fan. I got a bottle of the the new PI from Amsoil and put it in my wife's Jeep. Even she noticed the difference. They say to put in one bottle every 4000 miles.

· Official DT Amsoil Dealer
692 Posts
mpersell said:
I'm not a fuel additive fan. I got a bottle of the the new PI from Amsoil and put it in my wife's Jeep. Even she noticed the difference. They say to put in one bottle every 4000 miles.
The PI is great. I used to have very good luck with Berryman's but now use the PI since I first tried it. Very good and really noticeable changes.

· Lets go DEVILS!!!
2,223 Posts
I remember reading an article a few years back and techron was one of the few additives that actually made a difference. I dump a bottle into about a quarter tank of gas every 3 - 4 months. I don't really think it makes much of a difference since i use Amoco Ultimate in my truck exclusively (now called BP).

· Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not so sure that it will actually confuse the computer, but I read a while back somewhere (on a forum I think) that the computer will adjust the combustion of the engine according to the gas slightly to try to avoid pinging etc. I usually run 87 octane, so if the above statement is true, then the computer will have to "adjust" for one tank of 93 (or is it 91?) octane and then re-adjust to the 87 octane that usually goes in it. Hopefully if I'm wrong here, someone will clear it up. :)

Thanks for the replies. I recently read up on the tiered gasolines with Chevron and Shell being tops. But last time I filled up Chevron was $0.15 more per gallon than BP....sooo I went with BP. :D

· Registered
221 Posts
I use Chevron on a regular basis without any prob. Its one of the top rated gasolines you could buy, however, I believe there is little dif between all the available brands.

· Fast SHOW Truck
4,423 Posts
i use chevron w/techron, texaco w/ techron, or shell v-power 93oct on my truck all the time and it runs great

· Registered
22,981 Posts
My truck has used Chevron over 90% of its life. I also bought a 4 pack of Techron for like $10 at Costco a while back. They don't always carry it, but when they do I buy it! its like $8 a bottle at the store.

KB

· Diesel User
1,344 Posts
Chevron Techron is good stuff. It saved me several times from having to pull the carbs off of my sport bikes and ATVs due to the fuel drying up and leaving a varnish.

MikeyB

· Registered
762 Posts
If you dump in a bottle of Techron in your tank make sure to change your oil within the next 2 tank fulls of gas.

The stuff that does not burn washes down your cyl. walls and ends up in the oil. Not a good place for it at all.

· Relentless
1,834 Posts
I use shell v-power and a bottle of techron every oil change.

· Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just to let everyone know that at least at my local Pepboys Chevron with Techron is Buy one get one free (after mail in rebate) and at Advance Auto Parts Shell V-Power is buy one get one free (instantly). Also at both stores there is a 5 quart Mobil 1 oil + mobil 1 oil filter offer for about $30 bucks. (So I guess we'll have to buy the extra quart or two quarts at regular price). But before ya'll head out, make sure you check the fliers online to make sure the offer is available in your area.

· Registered
3,090 Posts
How much is too much fuel cleaner or a single tank of gas. I say one can per the directions is fine. Too much will cause damage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.