DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have broken a total of 5 wheel studs now while driving. one on front passenger wheel and four on the driver front wheel. 2 just fell off while driving and the others cracked off while removing the lugs nuts(with barely any effort from me trying to remove the lug nuts). I am assuming the problem is that I have never taken the time to torque them to specefics but I am almost positive I have never over-tighten them. I also always try to apply even pressure when tightening and removing the lug nuts as far as turning the wrench (I don't have air tools.)

Truck: 04.5 2500 HO diesel 4x4 quad cab short bed. Leveled with 17inch moto metals (951) and 35 inch tires. Tire were balanced when installed and I have never really had an issue with vibration(from what I can feel) or speed wobble.

So, here are a couple questions: Why do they keep snapping off? The all seem to snap at the same place, so it is the rims? And, what is the correct torque ft.lb given the wheels and tires?

Thanks in advance to all. Here is a pic of the driver front.

·
Registered
81 Posts
the pattern those are broke in tell me they have been overtorqued and all eight of them need replacing. I have been using air tools for years and dont have a problem with them however, if you cant get the "feel" for it then use a torque wrench.

years ago, I was part owner in a tire store and we had multiple broken stud returns and wheels that would not come off in an emergency due to flats etc. The final straw for me was when I went to a customers house to help him get his spare on and I broke some of the studs myself. After that, it was torque wrench only in the tire bays. No torque sticks, no impacts, no more broken studs.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
being every other one makes me suspicious of something else
but I dont know what

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
You would have to put them REALLY tight to snap them, or else your torquing them to often. I do mine by feel, never checked them ever and never had a problem, i'd guess they are between 120-150ft lbs. Impacts will kill the studs though, I never use them. The pattern does seem odd though.

·
New Project!...Again!
3,261 Posts
You are snapping the studs because you still have the retaining clips on the rotors with aftermarket wheels. The factory wheels have reliefs cut out so the wheel will still sit flush on the face of the rotor. When you put aftermarket wheels on and keep the retaining clips on, the wheel doesnt have a flat face that it mounts to.

Remove the retaining clips and you shouldnt have anymore issues.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
You are snapping the studs because you still have the retaining clips on the rotors with aftermarket wheels. The factory wheels have reliefs cut out so the wheel will still sit flush on the face of the rotor. When you put aftermarket wheels on and keep the retaining clips on, the wheel doesnt have a flat face that it mounts to.

Remove the retaining clips and you shouldnt have anymore issues.
I've heard this tons of times and still can't see how it would snap a stud. My aftermarket wheels have been on for quite a while and i've still got some of the retaining clips on without issues.... Is it just me or does it look like the 4 not broken are the ones WITH the retaining clips and the broken ones all DON'T have the clips?

·
Registered
76 Posts
DodgethisHemi is correct. If you look at the hub in the picture the retaining clips are on the good studs. What's happening is the nuts are torqueing properly on those studs. The studs without clips the nuts are trying to pull/bend the rim in to a contact surface. The studs are being stretched and over torqued to the point they snap.

Do not use lubricant to take off or install wheel studs and nuts. This can also lead to over tightening, stretching and snapping the studs.

·
New Project!...Again!
3,261 Posts
Ditch the clips pronto and you will be fine dude. You may have already done the damage on some of the studs so if you still get a couple that snap, dont be alarmed. If they are cheap and easy to replace, I would just replace em and not have to worry about em.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
DodgethisHemi is correct. If you look at the hub in the picture the retaining clips are on the good studs. What's happening is the nuts are torqueing properly on those studs. The studs without clips the nuts are trying to pull/bend the rim in to a contact surface. The studs are being stretched and over torqued to the point they snap.

Do not use lubricant to take off or install wheel studs and nuts. This can also lead to over tightening, stretching and snapping the studs.
But the thing is, if you still had all 8 it would be the same for all the studs and therefore do nothing. I am still not convinced that is the problem, i've got some left on mine like I said before and no issues after quite some time, and the trucks been loaded heavy quite a few times. It could be part of the problem, but i'd say there is something else going on.

·
New Project!...Again!
3,261 Posts
Your call man but I have talked to a bunch of people and know of a bunch of people that had this issue. All caused by either having the retaining still installed with aftermarket wheels or by using something on the threads which allowed for overtorquing. My truck came from the dealer with aftermarket wheels and all my retaining clips were removed since aftermarket wheels do not have a relief cut in them. Simple fix and wont cost you anything... Other than fixing the already broken studs. What does it hurt though. Not like you have anything to loose but continuing to break studs like you are currently doing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow Thank you all for the insight. I would have never guessed that the problem was the retaining clips. I will difinately remove them. Are there no retaining clips on the rear? I haven't snapped any in the rear and I have only snapped one on the front right.

·
New Project!...Again!
3,261 Posts
Could just be with the continued added weight up front is stressing the studs more constantly... So it is causing them to snap.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
get rid of them before you lose a wheel
safety first my friend safety first

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.