DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm new here (and to trucks in general). But I somehow managed to stumble into quite the situation. One day I decided to buy a 1985 W350 4x4 360. I absolutely love the truck, but it's old and got some rust. I then happened to find (and purchase) and 1990 W250 4x4 360 that has a bed and cab that are in almost perfect condition (front end got smashed up in an accident though). Now I've found myself in a situation of wanting to take the best bits of both trucks to creat the perfect truck (for me at least haha). After some looking and some research I have found that the 1990 has a TBI and I've decided I want to attempt to take the 4bbl carb from the 1985 and put it into the 1990 but I'll admit, I'm at a bit of a loss for all the right information. Specifically

Are the intake manifolds the same (or similar enough to not need an adapter/new intake manifold)?

What are the major wiring and/or vacuum hose obstacles that would need to be overcome?

Any and all information, tips, tricks, suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated!

·
Red Trucker
2,567 Posts
Are the intake manifolds the same (or similar enough to not need an adapter/new intake manifold)?
Cannot use a TBI manifold to mount a carb; I mean, you ahve both trucks, have you not done comparisons yet?

What are the major wiring and/or vacuum hose obstacles that would need to be overcome?
Possibly a feedback carb vs a TBI system.....again, you have both trucks, you need to look at them side by side.

Any and all information, tips, tricks, suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated!
Use the 4bbl manifold that came with the carb. Compare wiring and vac hoses between the two; you didn't say but I'm willing to bet the 1985 is a feedback carb (precursor to to TBI) vs TBI. If it IS a feedback carb, you don't wanna use it, it'll never run right outside it's own install. If I was doing this I'd find a 70's small block Thermoquad carb or barring that, a decent aftermarket spreadbore with an aluminum manifold to match. TBI generally controls ignition timing so I doubt you have a normal vac advance distributor. If you do, great. If not then you'll need one. The 1985 engine might have one, if not get the good old tried and true Mopar electronic ignition kit. One would assume the TBI truck has an electric fuel pump of some sort; dunno if you can still get away with using that or if it would be a better idea to convert to a mechanical fuel pump.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cannot use a TBI manifold to mount a carb; I mean, you ahve both trucks, have you not done comparisons yet?
I have not taken either the carb or the TBI off to really look at them. I will admit I was attempting to be a little bit lazy and hoping I could get the information before doing any serious removals. However, I do appreciate the information!

Possibly a feedback carb vs a TBI system.....again, you have both trucks, you need to look at them side by side.
I am aware of the differences and have spent some time so far learning the vacuum hose differences, but I was wondering specifically if anyone had any information on what specifically would need to be removed, added, and/or modified to make the conversion work.

Use the 4bbl manifold that came with the carb. Compare wiring and vac hoses between the two; you didn't say but I'm willing to bet the 1985 is a feedback carb (precursor to to TBI) vs TBI. If it IS a feedback carb, you don't wanna use it, it'll never run right outside it's own install. If I was doing this I'd find a 70's small block Thermoquad carb or barring that, a decent aftermarket spreadbore with an aluminum manifold to match. TBI generally controls ignition timing so I doubt you have a normal vac advance distributor. If you do, great. If not then you'll need one. The 1985 engine might have one, if not get the good old tried and true Mopar electronic ignition kit. One would assume the TBI truck has an electric fuel pump of some sort; dunno if you can still get away with using that or if it would be a better idea to convert to a mechanical fuel pump.
Awesome! This is all very helpful information and I do greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
52 Posts
If it was me I would swap the front off the 85 onto the 90. If it would swap. If not I might search the salvage yards to find good parts to fit the 90.
Possibly sell the 85 to cover the cost of the parts to fix the 90.
I have a 97 Dakota. The cab and frame are in good shape but the front fenders are pretty much gone. Front bumper is the same weay. The bed has a small rust hole where the hump for the tire meetys the foor but the fenders match the front.
In a nearby u-Pull it yard there are a 97 Dakota that has good front fenders and a box Possibly the front bumper too' Fenders are like $30 each The box is about $50. Not bad prices and they might get me a few more years ouit of my truck.
Leo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts