DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has seen better days. When I bought it, it had no running engine so I couldn't test drive it lol. After getting it up and running I have ran into issues such as the steering rack, bushings, tie rods and front struts.

I'm going to replace all of this stuff. I'm going to replace the springs and lower it when I swap out the struts. Use polly bushings and see about using beefer tie rods.

Wish me luck. Just hope the wife doesn't get too mad when she sees the price tag.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Waiting for the tax return. I'm going to hit up the junkyard and buy a couple of rebuild kits for the rack and power steering pump. I'm going to try and replace as many bushings as possible. This way I can get my new struts and springs.

pskits.com seems right up my ally.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the tax return is here and from what I have been told I will have tomorrow (Sunday) off so i'll be going on a shopping spree for the car. I hope the weather will let up because I have a date with the junkyard.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went to the junkyard and after pulling a rack I got pissed off at the management of the junkyard and took my money else where. They wanted 190 for the rack. I can buy a reman rack for that and one that has a warranty. So I went to Autozone and bought a rack. After the core exchange im paying 160 for it. While on my way there I noticed the sucking sound had returned, it was the brake booster so I bought a new one while I was at Autozone. Got back home and installed the brake booster. I'm going to wait until Friday to change out the rack.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Somethings are better to purchase remanufactured or new, rather than a junkyard.
Racks are one, as you.ve found out. Half shafts, rotors, fuel pumps, exhaust parts are some others that are better to purchase new.
Transmissions, engines, trim parts, interior,glass,gas tanks and body panels are about all I'll trust from junkyards. Sometimes an electrical module, depending on what they want for new. Maybe a brake caliper, but again, new is just about what they want for their used.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been lazy and haven't changed the rack yet. I need to buy a pulley puller so I can rebuild the steering pump. In July I plan to repaint the car but ysterday I spent 10 bucks on getting rid of some rust that formed on the trunk lid around the keyhole. Sanded it down to bare metal, primed it and tried the dulpi-color perfect match for the PEL Inferno Red. Came out pretty nice and while I was at it I went ahead and added some custom lettering that has my name and the wife's name.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Good luck getting that pulley off of the power steering pump. My pump went bad recently, and after breaking 2 pulley pullers, we ran down to advance and picked up a new pulley for like $10 or $20.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well heres a tip. When you rebuild the pump you don't need to take off the pulley. I found this out the hard way since the FSM lists a few times about taking off the pulley so I thought I would need it off to rebuild it. After cracking the pulley I bought a new pulley and rebuilt it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rack is replaced, pump rebuilt, did a few glamour things then the wife cut me off on spending the money lol.

Right now im researching and planing to make some polyurethane bushings. Going to use Shore 80A for the hardness and probably make the molds out of plaster so I can do multiple runs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.