Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a 96 1500 with the 5.9 engine and it has 180k miles on it. I bought the truck in 2013 with 140k and have been lucky so far, up until now. I drive the truck about 100 miles a day usually and I have had a leak in the rear main seal since I bought it. Iet the oil get low, and when the oil light flashed on and off I checked the oil but it wasnt on the dipstick, so I added 4qts. Now, im getting a bad tick under acceleration from 1500-4000rpm and im wondering where to start. I have also heard some other sounds like a scraping sound but im not sure where it is coming from

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Hi guys,

I have a 96 1500 with the 5.9 engine and it has 180k miles on it. I bought the truck in 2013 with 140k and have been lucky so far, up until now. I drive the truck about 100 miles a day usually and I have had a leak in the rear main seal since I bought it. Iet the oil get low, and when the oil light flashed on and off I checked the oil but it wasnt on the dipstick, so I added 4qts. Now, im getting a bad tick under acceleration from 1500-4000rpm and im wondering where to start. I have also heard some other sounds like a scraping sound but im not sure where it is coming from
Need to watch the stick much much closer; drove many leakers/users and never been 4 qts low.
... Ticking (and maybe scraping) could be like lifter or rocker/valvetrain, orrrrrr
... Stethascope or long screwdriver held against you ear may help find source/s of the noises.

·
audio is my game
2,853 Posts
sounds like a rod bearing. that low you would be lacking oil to many major components of the engine. it wouldnt take long for something starved of oil to go bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.