DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· C HEMI GO
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to tap into the overhead to power my radar detector and handsfree phone unit I'm getting. I'm comfortable finding the wires and doing the wiring, I just can't figure out how to get the flippin' thing apart. I know at least one person on here has wired their radar detector to it before but I can't find any info on how to get the console apart so I can do any wiring.

· Been HEMIphied
1,935 Posts
Carefully pry off the clear/white lenses. Under each is a screw. Remove the two screws, and slide the unit toward the rear and it should come off.

· C HEMI GO
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

· C HEMI GO
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My hands free is a motorola model that you clip on the visor that I got off ebay for $25.

· Vertically-Challenged
15,566 Posts
I should think about doing this since recently in CA they made it illegal to talk on your phone (to your ear) and drive on the freeway. If CA actually enforces it they will make some big money. I just might have to do that. Although i have NEXTEL so i can use my walkie talkie or speaker and place it in my lap or on my console. Gotta love Nextel! :D

· Banned
2,424 Posts
how does that mopar one work? is it bluetooth?

· Hemi Power
2,004 Posts
SamCarroll said:
I should think about doing this since recently in CA they made it illegal to talk on your phone (to your ear) and drive on the freeway.
First i've heard of this. Where did you hear this?

· C HEMI GO
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
viper24 said:
how does that mopar one work? is it bluetooth?
The mopar one is bluetooth and interfaces with the factory stereo for sound. I don't know how/if it intereacts with aftermarket ones. Most other bluetooth car kits rely on a seperate speaker.

The kit I bought is a rechargeable unit that will fit in your pocket but should be better than the conventional speakerphone capabilities built into most phones.

· Registered
124 Posts
SamCarroll said:
I should think about doing this since recently in CA they made it illegal to talk on your phone (to your ear) and drive on the freeway.
I don't know about the CA you live in, but in California it's still legal to use cell phones planted on your ear. They've been trying to disallow this, but it hasn't happened yet....unless they finally snuck that ruling through!

· Unregistered User
3,499 Posts
Blaster1200 said:
I don't know about the CA you live in, but in California it's still legal to use cell phones planted on your ear. They've been trying to disallow this, but it hasn't happened yet....unless they finally snuck that ruling through!
That's been illegal since before they were invented. CA law prohibits drivers from wearing any sort of headphones or headsets while driving a car.

· Registered
124 Posts
You're correct. Headphones that cover both ears are illegal, but using a cell phone in a normal manner or using a normal phone ear piece is not.

· Registered
22,981 Posts
Yeah, I remember in Drivers Ed my teacher said it was illegal to wear earphones while driving. But if you had just one earbud in one ear you were still legal. One ear has to be uncovered to hear around you. I also have nextel and use my Direct connect feature more than anything. So I can just holler with my phone in one hand and don't need it up to my ear.

KB

· Vertically-Challenged
15,566 Posts
lassenloop said:
That's been illegal since before they were invented. CA law prohibits drivers from wearing any sort of headphones or headsets while driving a car.
YUP!

I heard it on the radio, the station i listen to has an officer come on each day to talk about his day and some news. He said that its now illegal in CA to talk on the phone to your ear while driving on the freeway.

I dont know if they will enforce it but its now a law. Or has been and just got revamped.

· C HEMI GO
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SamCarroll said:
YUP!

I heard it on the radio, the station i listen to has an officer come on each day to talk about his day and some news. He said that its now illegal in CA to talk on the phone to your ear while driving on the freeway.

I dont know if they will enforce it but its now a law. Or has been and just got revamped.
Seriously. I'm not from California but now find myself knowing more about the subject than californians. The law is just a bill which passed the house and is sitting in the senate. It is called AB45 and is from last year's session and apparently is still sitting there:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postquery?bill_number=ab_45&sess=PREV&house=B&author=simitian

· Registered
22,981 Posts
Either way ya slice it...I don't do it. :D

KB

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.