DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is a 5 minute job to take the door panels off and another 5 to take the mirors off but how do you separate the two mirror parts ( base and swiveling mirror)

I got to get mine painted to match my Atlantic Blue

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
DONT DO IT!!!!! I did the tear down of my mirrors(6 pieces all together) to paint them and I regretted it while I fought to TRY to put them back together(after paint).......you can get just as good a Job with a good painter shooting them assembled as you would tearing them down like I did!!!!
Try and use two coats of building primer on the mirrors and sand the primer for a nice smooth look and not the mirror "PLASTIC" itself.......it will turn out like mine did........ask anyone whose seen them and you will know(they are as smooth or smoother than the trucks paint!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
908 Posts
taking the mirrors apart is quite easy actually....all you have to do is tilt your mirror all the way up and in towards the truck. then you will see a plastic slid tab at the bottom of the backing plate on the mirror itself, push this in and then slide the mirror assembly down and now you have access to the mounting nuts that hold the swivel portion...if you have any questions let me know and i will try and get some pics for you to look at.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I took mine off and all apart, but not at the pivot. Mine came color matched from the factory. :D

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BLACKWOLF said:
I took mine off and all apart, but not at the pivot. Mine came color matched from the factory. :D
I know but they are textured

Which make me think I can get away with just cleaning well and leaving textured

If Black Wolf can have textured mirrors and be happy so can I :D

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
slammed1 said:
DONT DO IT!!!!! I did the tear down of my mirrors(6 pieces all together) to paint them and I regretted it while I fought to TRY to put them back together(after paint).......you can get just as good a Job with a good painter shooting them assembled as you would tearing them down like I did!!!!
Try and use two coats of building primer on the mirrors and sand the primer for a nice smooth look and not the mirror "PLASTIC" itself.......it will turn out like mine did........ask anyone whose seen them and you will know(they are as smooth or smoother than the trucks paint!!!
Not all 6 pieces

Only the base and mirror assembly from each other

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Low1 said:
taking the mirrors apart is quite easy actually....all you have to do is tilt your mirror all the way up and in towards the truck. then you will see a plastic slid tab at the bottom of the backing plate on the mirror itself, push this in and then slide the mirror assembly down and now you have access to the mounting nuts that hold the swivel portion...if you have any questions let me know and i will try and get some pics for you to look at.
Pics would be much appreciated

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
uncbob said:
Not all 6 pieces

Only the base and mirror assembly from each other
6 pieces from 2 mirrors

I separated the two clam shells from each other and that left the base with the mirror only sticking up....I dont recommend this way even though I was able to get a nice finish in all the cracks and crevis's........a little texture wont look bad as long as the paint is nicely put on and the finish is good!!!! There are many textured painted mirrors on this site from what Ive seen!!!

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
slammed1 said:
6 pieces from 2 mirrors

I separated the two clam shells from each other and that left the base with the mirror only sticking up....I dont recommend this way even though I was able to get a nice finish in all the cracks and crevis's........a little texture wont look bad as long as the paint is nicely put on and the finish is good!!!! There are many textured painted mirrors on this site from what Ive seen!!!
I was thinking maybe paint it as an assembly since you can get to all the area that will be seen . If texture doesn't come out right I can always redo or get a pro to do it

I did my 93 F150 in two parts but it was easy to take apart and put back together
Cameout nice

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
slammed1 said:
you took it apart or your wife?????? see attatched pic!!!
just kidding bro!!!

:thatfunny Yeah, that was not my rigs best week. But I made out well concidering it could have cost me my hood or windshield.

And the little bumpies don't bother me, although I do like the smooth clean look of slammed1's.

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
Blackwolf, Can you tell me exactly how you painted your grill so good? I want the SAME RESULTS!!! I have a black ram hemi and the chrome is fffing killing me

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
hemi1569 said:
Blackwolf, Can you tell me exactly how you painted your grill so good? I want the SAME RESULTS!!! I have a black ram hemi and the chrome is fffing killing me

I took steel wool and scuffed up all the surfaces. Then taped off the cross member and grill shell and let it spray. The color is not hard to match, but avoid getting overspray on the rest of the truck. Its easy. It has chipped from road projectiles a few times, but touch up is a snap. If you do it you have to send me $15 because I have a copywrite on the mod. ;)

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
Do you take pennies

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
hemi1569 said:
Do you take pennies
I take anything they except at the gas station. So yes.

·
Registered
890 Posts
slammed1 said:
Do you still have any texture to them at all??? I painted my tailgate handle last night, and it is almost too smooth. It looks like a piece of bright red glass. I sanded them smooth from 120 grit to 600 grit prior to priming. I kind of wish I had left a hint of texture to them instead of sanding them so smooth. Maybe once I get it on the truck I'll have a different opinion.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
EZ4U2CHere said:
Do you still have any texture to them at all??? I painted my tailgate handle last night, and it is almost too smooth. It looks like a piece of bright red glass. I sanded them smooth from 120 grit to 600 grit prior to priming. I kind of wish I had left a hint of texture to them instead of sanding them so smooth. Maybe once I get it on the truck I'll have a different opinion.
Well the ones in his picture sure are smooth and as he said maybe even more so than the truck

They sure look it

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I got the 6 pieces apart

Now I have to clean and paint them

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.