DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading ALOT on people asking what muffler and headers they should get. I like the sound of MORE low end torque and HP but im more concerned about SOUND. I want power and all that w/o the loud "nasty" sound. (IE: glass packs) I want a set up that sounds like, like, im gonna say it... a Lightning. It isnt loud at all when your driving around town it has a real mean rumble sound that i LOVE!! I know it can get pretty loud @ WOT but it still doesn't sound like glass packs would. I want a low rumble,clean sound. What should I get?? NO!! I AM NOT GETTING A FORD. :)
There was a clip on here a while back that i can not find of a black Ram doing a burnout that had the best sounding set up i have ever heard. Alot of peeps on here also commented on it as well. Anybody know what vid im talking about? Anyway, Thanks in advance for ya'lls input!!

RH

·
Registered
609 Posts
i dont have a new truck but i did a flow master and two & half inch pipe it has the RUMBLE and it can be loud if you floor it around a slow driver and blow there ear drums out it sound's real nice and for added attraction i sent it out the rear bumper thats right not under out!!!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I would say any chambered muffler is what your after. A straight through design is what gives you your glasspack sound. The Eldelbrock SDT sounds really nice. Of course you also have the hooker, flowmaster, magnaflow, borla, etc.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I went with the Borla Catback system. It is a straight through design as well. I was like you, looking for something that wasn't loud when driving normal but when goosed you could hear it grumble. I am very happy with my purchase and the install was cake. A little pricey to the others that I checked out but hey its Borla! :rck:

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
That colleague of mine at work w/the F-150 (whom I've finally put in his place, lol) has a Flow50 with custom pipes out the back. It's a LOT quieter than my dumped Flow40 at idle, but seems to louden up nicely with some throttle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks alot for all the info here guys!! Chefred, That I think is what I am after!! What set-up do you have?? That is a mean soundin truck you got there! Thanks Again guys!

RH

·
TRICK TURBO
3,865 Posts
BiG TeX said:
I have been reading ALOT on people asking what muffler and headers they should get. I like the sound of MORE low end torque and HP but im more concerned about SOUND. I want power and all that w/o the loud "nasty" sound. (IE: glass packs) I want a set up that sounds like, like, im gonna say it... a Lightning. It isnt loud at all when your driving around town it has a real mean rumble sound that i LOVE!! I know it can get pretty loud @ WOT but it still doesn't sound like glass packs would. I want a low rumble,clean sound. What should I get?? NO!! I AM NOT GETTING A FORD. :)
There was a clip on here a while back that i can not find of a black Ram doing a burnout that had the best sounding set up i have ever heard. Alot of peeps on here also commented on it as well. Anybody know what vid im talking about? Anyway, Thanks in advance for ya'lls input!!

RH
Lightnings have a turbo style muffler.. A single in dual out turbo from your local muffler shop will run you around 160 with pipes.. Quiet until WOT :rck:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have 2 1/4 true duals right after the stock cats with a flowmaster 40 on each pipe.. its not that loud but sounds awsome and seems to give a lil more high end performance...
My good friend with a 2500 hemi did the same true dual setup but used the x crossover muffler i think made by dynamax? it is quieter than mine but he seems to have more off the line power. that muffler has the x pipe built into the muffler with packing... I would have to say that would be the way to go if i did it again...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mods: Flow Delta 50 3" SI/2.25" DO side exit 3.5" chrome rolled tips, custom Y-pipe
I just read it.. How much diff that it make as far as cab noise? I dont "race" my truck I just do ALOT of in town driving. But who knows, after a few more mods I might take it to the track to see what it all adds up to. I am just starting to do some mods and I think this will be my next.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
After listening to sound clips on here of Flowmasters, Maganflows, Borlas, etc., the two best sounding exhaust systems are ones with cutouts or straight pipes. Cutouts are obviously more practical than straight pipes since you have it both ways: quiet when you want, and mean sounding when you need it to be.

After spending about $500 on my exhaust setup over the last couple years, I can say without a doubt, the $50 I spent straight piping my truck was the sound I always wanted. It probably has too much cab drone for you, but it has a BAD ASS low, deep rumble, and absolutely screams at WOT. The only drawback is the cab drone, but there isn't anything you can about that.

·
TRICK TURBO
3,865 Posts
BiG TeX said:
mods: Flow Delta 50 3" SI/2.25" DO side exit 3.5" chrome rolled tips, custom Y-pipe
I just read it.. How much diff that it make as far as cab noise? I dont "race" my truck I just do ALOT of in town driving. But who knows, after a few more mods I might take it to the track to see what it all adds up to. I am just starting to do some mods and I think this will be my next.
:rck: :rck: :rck: :rck: :rck:

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
BiG TeX said:
I started off with a magnaflow...but it droned unbearably at 2k rpms, and that exited in the rear.... when I went with the side exit flow 50, you barely hear it when your just cruising...you hear it when you accelerate and that's music to my ears...and no drone...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Flowmasters Super 40 might do the trick....works for me.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
Capone said:
Where did you order this exhaust from? Or did you have it custom made?
not sure who you were asking...but i just walked into my local muffler shop and said..." I'm looking for a Flow 50 with dual chrome side exits before the passenger wheel"... he let me choose the chrome tips...i was there thru the whole process (about an hour) cuz he wanted me to ok how the side exits came out... al in all...total cost parts an labor was $250.00

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
here's what mine looks underneath...

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
I bought my 2 mufflers from Advance for $170 and had a shop run 3 inch stainless from the cats back and it exits at each rear corner with 2 4" Silverline tips for $250. I'll try to post a pic.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
look at my setup on my sig. when cruising and at idle, its just a little louder than stock. and at WOT it has a nice tone, there is no drone at all with the tailpipe exiting out the back. thats the way my dad wanted it, the way i liked it better was when it was dumped. u could always try my setup dumped, and if it's still too loud for u, add the tips out the back and it will sound very "civilized" i guess it's good for long highway trips like my dad makes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Chefred, Do you have stock headers? Was the flow 50 just added on in place of stock pipes after the cat? Your sig says "3" SI/2.25" DO side exit 3.5" chrome rolled tips, custom Y-pipe" Are stock pipes 3"? Y-pipe?

RH

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.