DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Synthetic w/ MDS

934 views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Hunter11 
#1 ·
I'm about to make the change to synthetic on this oil change, but I want to know if anyone has switched to synthetic with the new MDS system?

I just want to be carefull since MDS works with the oil system; so I want to know if there are any adverse affects.

I do have one question...synthetic oil runs cooler, and one of the MDS conditions is a certain oil temperature...so, will the cooler running synthetic cause the oil temp to be below the MDS turn on point? Or cause the system to come on less frequently?

#3 ·
I run either Royal Purple or Mobil 1 5w-20 in my Magnum. 6k mile oil changes.

MikeyB

#4 ·
Yes synthetic will stay slightly cooler than conventional oil but it will not stay below th temperature that affects MDS, it may take slightly longer in cool conditions but it will still be fully functional once it warms up.

#5 ·
I changed over to Mobil 1 5w-20 @ 1500 miles and haven't had any kind of problem. Just make sure you stick to 5w-20.

#7 ·
I have had Mobil 1 5w-30 in my wife's 06 since 1k miles and it has 9k on it now with no problems so far.

#8 ·
Yup.. Mobil-1 now with 8k.. Like a champ.. I started running The mobil-1 synthetic my first oil change at 3000 miles.. I also installed my SC that same day. My MDS kicks in when my engine is still cold.. I can start my truck after sitting all night, pull out of my driveway and after the 1-2 shift my MDS kicks on.. Don't know if its the SC or what but i have heard of noone elses MDS kickin in like this..

#9 ·
thanks for all the replies guys!

I just picked up a Purolator Pure One PL14670, and some Mobil-1 synthetic for the oil change tonight!

#10 ·
wht93gted, I run that same filter on my wife's truck with the Mobil1.

#11 ·
I have the QuakerState Advanced Engine full synthetic in 5w-30 and a K&N oil filter, is this a good oil? Should i change it every 3000 miles or should i extend the intervals to around 5k or 6K?

#13 ·
06ramhemi said:
Yup.. Mobil-1 now with 8k.. Like a champ.. I started running The mobil-1 synthetic my first oil change at 3000 miles.. I also installed my SC that same day. My MDS kicks in when my engine is still cold.. I can start my truck after sitting all night, pull out of my driveway and after the 1-2 shift my MDS kicks on.. Don't know if its the SC or what but i have heard of noone elses MDS kickin in like this..
I'm with you on this one, I just installed my flashpaq yesterday and the 1st thing i noticed was the mds kicking in way quicker than it did before,my guess is it has to be the tune.

#14 ·
wht93gted, I use a Purolator PL45335 on my Manly diesel. Hey I have been using Purolator filters on both our trucks for over 10 years now. They are one of the few DC approves for the CTD. Girly filter, you are killing me man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.