DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got my car on Friday and was curious if anybody is running synthetic with their Stratus? If so, special brand or type you suggest? upgrade the oil filter too? advantages/downsides of doing this? Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
193 Posts
ive ran since new royal purple 5w 30, lucas syn stabilizer , K&N oil filter, advantages- better for the motor, no sludge build up, motor will spin a little bit more freely, no viscosity break down.

downsides- little pricey, not suppose to switch back once start using syn

·
Registered
53 Posts
I also run Royal Purple everytime with a PureOne filter. Just as good a filter as the more expensive ones at half the price. Drop a bottle of Chevron Injector cleaner in your gas tank every other oil change to keep your fuel system clean too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i run AMSoil full sythetic in my 02' 3.0 V6...worth every penny. i suggest changing the oil well befor the manufactur's 20,000 mi life, i change mine every 6,000 or so.

·
Registered
17 Posts
when switching to sythentic should u do a motor flush? and does using synthetic does it void your warrant heard it does

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use Mobil one in all my vehicles. 02 Dodge Ram, 05 Stratus RT, and Kia...Don't be stingy also use a good filter. I change the oil every 7500 miles...

·
Platinum 2K R/T
4,054 Posts
I run Amsoil also. It has it's own warranty, and a vehicle manufacturer cannot void a warranty unless they supply you with engine oil and you use another brand. Other than that it's free game as they will not test the oil providing you can prove that it was changed within the recommended service schedule. Most ppl change at 3K as that's what specified under the 'severe service' schedule. Under the 'normal schedule' also known as the ideal schedule, it's twice that at 6K drain interval. So running synthetic oil at 6K is allowable. Just make sure that it states somewhere in the owners manual that it can go 6K and you'll be fine.

You can switch back after running synthetic, it's just not the ideal thing to do as you'll have to change out the oil at shorter intervals and if you decide to switch back, an engine flush would probably be a good idea. With that said, along with the longer drain intervals synthetic oil provides it's actually more cost effective per mile to run synthetic oil. Not to mention the fact that it's better for the engine!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have been running Mobil 1 in my truck since its first oil change, along with a Bosch filter and the Techron Fuel System treatment every 3k-5k miles. I don't drove my truck much and I kind of take the extra mile when I change my oil, meaning I probably change it too much, lol.

I just started putting Mobil 1 in my Stratus. I bought the car used at 66k miles and I have probably put 10k on it so far within a year. So I don't drive much.

But yes, I recommend using a good brand of synthetic oil, along with a good filter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.