DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: does anyone else use Dodge's synthetic oil?

I've always run synthetic oil in my vehicles, and Dodge has their own synthetic oil. I just had my first oil chainge done today at 3500km (early on purpose) but the dealer didn't have the proper wieght synthetic in stock, so I went with regular oil and will go with synthetic next oil chainge.

To be honest with you, since the tranny failed, I'm being very careful with the maintenance and am trying to keep everything dealer serviced, and while I would like to use Royal Purple or Mobil 1, I want the dealer to look after the truck exclusively so that if there are any future promlems, I'll have all the records to back me up.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Andy said:
mobil 1, unless I'm mistaken
Are you saying Dodge uses Mobil 1?

·
SRT-4
3,262 Posts
sorry I thought you asked what brand their synthetic oil is...

but yes it is mobil 1, unless I'm mistaken, Im pretty sure it is though

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Andy said:
sorry I thought you asked what brand their synthetic oil is...

but yes it is mobil 1, unless I'm mistaken, Im pretty sure it is though

Yep, that's exactly what I was asking, and thanks.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I'll confirm that, my stealership uses Mobil 1.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't even think to ask when I was in, just assumed it was 'Mopar' synthetic, and kinda wondered. Hopefully, it's the same here in Canada. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Mobil1 Syn. here!!!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RIght on. The service mgr said you can use synthetic right from day one because of the break-in they do at the factory, so it'll be syn next service for sure - wasn't sure, had heard that it was better to wait a couple of oil changes first.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Royal Purple synthetic oil meets all the required certifications and specifications for your warranty. I am running it in my 04 HEMI Ram and it is great stuff. Use whatever brand makes you happy just FYI as you had mentioned RP in your post. It is okay to use and will not impact your warranty.

http://eolcs.api.org/DisplayCompanyInfo.asp?CompanyID=227088

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
I'm surprised the service manager allowed dino-oil for your oil change. I've been told by quite a few oil change places and service bays that once you go to synth, it isn't good to go back.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My Dealership uses Castrol - "Everything Else...".

I had my last oil-change elseswhere last time - Mobil-1.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kruser79 said:
I'm surprised the service manager allowed dino-oil for your oil change. I've been told by quite a few oil change places and service bays that once you go to synth, it isn't good to go back.
This was my first oil change so I hadn't switched to synthetic yet. They had the 10w synthetic but not the 5w so I went with dino for this one. I'm doing the first couple of oil changes early just to be safe.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
NHHEMI said:
Royal Purple synthetic oil meets all the required certifications and specifications for your warranty. I am running it in my 04 HEMI Ram and it is great stuff. Use whatever brand makes you happy just FYI as you had mentioned RP in your post. It is okay to use and will not impact your warranty.

http://eolcs.api.org/DisplayCompanyInfo.asp?CompanyID=227088
Will the dealership put in oil that they didn't sell you though; i.e. if I walk in there with seven litres of Royal Purple, are they gonna dump it in for me? Do you do your own oil changes?

Off topic, how the heck do you reply with quotes to more than one post at a time in the same post - damned if I can frickin' figger it out.

·
My coinholder adds 15 HP!
1,441 Posts
05_hemi said:
Off topic, how the heck do you reply with quotes to more than one post at a time in the same post - damned if I can frickin' figger it out.
You have to click on the "quote" button then copy and paste each quote into your message.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks! :)

:nutkick: (that's me kicking myself for being so stoopid)

·
Registered
414 Posts
Just out of curiousity what does the dealer charge for a Mobil One oil change and what kind of filter do they install?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
rocknroll54 said:
Just out of curiousity what does the dealer charge for a Mobil One oil change and what kind of filter do they install?
I don't know. Maybe someone else does. The oil change was going to cost $35 (cdn) plus the diff in cost between the dino and syn oil, and the sm specifically stated that running syn does not alow extending the oil change intervals, so the whole deal will cost a little more. But, I don't care. I plan to keep the truck a long time, so to me, it's an investment.

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
agreed

·
Registered
414 Posts
Typical stealership. They will put syn oil in your vehicle but want you to come back every 3000 for a change.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.