DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone clarify this?
Is it alright to switch over to synthetic oil (mobile 1) at 30,000 miles with no problems?
I currently have 48,900 kilometers or almost 30,000 miles. I have read a few threads were some claim it can cause oil leakage. There is no reason to have any sludge in my engine since I religiously change my oil every 3000 miles.

· AndIHopeYouLikeRamminToo!
1,451 Posts
I've had a few mechanics tell me that it's okay to switch after 9000 miles. So, I'd say that 30k shouldn't hurt.

· Registered
1,268 Posts
I switched to mobil 1 after 54,000 miles and only difference i found was slightly more valvetrain noise, but isnt problematic noise

· Registered
9,836 Posts
Go ahead and GET ER DONE! Why did you wait so long to convert to the SLICK SIDE?

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

· 2004 Black_Hemi_QC
1,687 Posts
The dealership service manager I spoke with where I take my truck to doesn't recommend the switch to synthetics after 30000 kilometres or 20000 miles due to possibility of oil leaks.

· Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re oil

Great!
It must have to do with the warranty of the engine.
I will ask our service manager when I go in to have the oil changed.
I want them to put that in writing on my bill if they approve it.
Your also not the first one who has said that. I still would like to know why or any scientific reason.
Thanx :rck:

· Registered
165 Posts
i have never heard of any synthetic oil causing any leaks i have had it in since my very first oil change and i am at 42000 and no leaks

· Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
re oil

Zion: Remember, you have been putting synthetic in since new and I want to start at 30,000 miles.....big difference!

· Registered
1,340 Posts
I use Valvoline Durablend in mine. Group III synthetic for synthetic performance and dino for the seals just in case the stories have any truth to them. It's good oil and provides the benefits of both. I went with 10w-30 for Florida's 95*F heat and the top end seems quieter at high rpm. Otherwise I see no difference in mileage or performance. 5w-20 was a little noisier at high rpm. Just my humble take on it...

· Registered
1,733 Posts
In 1974, right after Mobil One first came out I put it in the flat 4 engine of a 1995 Subaru 4x4. Within 3000 miles the head gaskets had swelled and oil was dripping onto the exhaust pipes. I had to change out 2 head gaskets.

Today I believe all gaskets on modern vehicles are compatible with the synthetic oils. You can go ahead and change to Mobil One with no problems.

· Shark Hunter
7,273 Posts
The only issue I've heard/read about switching from dino to synth is with very high milage engines that have had a seal problem. The build-up of old deposits of crud and sludge around the seals is "washed" away by the synthetic and this can cause a leak. How much urban rumor there is to that I could not tell you but if Mobil 1 is OE for some DMX products, they even sell it in the parts Dept. it would be difficult for them to deny any warranty issues especially if you sprang for them to do the first change over to it.
I understand your trepidation on this switch but at your low mileage it really shouldn't be an issue. I would be carefull of some of the products out there, the guys I know who have a diesel performance shop find a great majority of the Cummins engine failures they come across have all used the same brand, A***l.
I know you have a Hemi, just mentioning it. Just remember that "that" product is not fully certified and is sold by what basically amounts to a pyramid selling procedure. I use Mobil 1 but any of them from the big company's is probably as good if you have a preferred brand.

· Registered
2,122 Posts
Synthetic absolutely can cause eniges to leak BUT that is on high mile engines that never used it. 30K and you shoudl be fine. In my experience 50-60K is the max you would want to start using it and only then on an engine that has been cared for properly with regular OC's. 30K though and you should be fine.

One note and suggestion. After the switch do it again soon. Like 2000-2500 miles max. I know it will be $$$. However, what is going to happen is the new synthetic is going to dissolve any and all sludge and goo in there so you want to do a swap fairly quick to get it out. Even though you have done regular 3K changes regular dino oil builds up sludge and deposists regardless. Just won't be as bad if you do the changes regular.

THAT is what actually leads to the oil leaks. The synthetics run so much cleaner( ie; better & stronger detergents that don't break down as fast )that they dissolve all the crud that has built up and sealed things. On high mile engines the gaskets have dried a bit, things have loosened just a hair, etc... The sludge builds up in the gaps and will actually seal any leaks. The synthetic though eats it away and then = drip drip drip...

· Valdez Racing Team
13,905 Posts
...i'm changin to synthetic after my free oil changes from the dealership (36k miles). I run synthetic in my Safari van and it has 230k miles on it...

· Registered
52 Posts
The old wives tale that synthetic oil will cause leaks is left over from the 70's. Think about it - how many vehicles made in the 70's DIDN"T leak oil? It's one of those rumors that will never die. You have nothing to worry about using it in your engine REGARDLESS of miles.

· Registered
1,055 Posts
TREP R/T said:
Zion: Remember, you have been putting synthetic in since new and I want to start at 30,000 miles.....big difference!
No problem. I switched my D at 30K now have 104K, no leaks.
I also bought a used turbo talon with 99K on it, swapped over to Mobil 1, have put another 80K on it with again, no leaks or any engine issues.
And finally, I put 285K on a turbo laser, all but the first 5K on Mobil 1, never had any leaks, or engine, turbo issues and the car is still running great with its new owner.

· Registered
2,122 Posts
Ram_in_Texas said:
The old wives tale that synthetic oil will cause leaks is left over from the 70's. Think about it - how many vehicles made in the 70's DIDN"T leak oil? It's one of those rumors that will never die. You have nothing to worry about using it in your engine REGARDLESS of miles.
It actually isn't an old wives tale. Run it in an old/high mileage engine that hasn't been run on it and you will get leaks.

· Registered
9,836 Posts
If you have a 3rd Gen Ram ... no matter how many miles on it... Go ahead and use synthetic oil. you will not get any leakes due to the SYNTHETIC oil...

If you have a 1995 Dodge Ram 360 it will be a differnet story.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

· Registered
52 Posts
NHHEMI said:
It actually isn't an old wives tale. Run it in an old/high mileage engine that hasn't been run on it and you will get leaks.
Well in my experience, it is an old wifes tale. I've NEVER had caused by switching over to a synthetic on a high mileage engine that was running dino. Now some of these were japanese or german engines maybe that was the difference. All of these engines were made after 1985. It's not like the older SBC that would leak at the rear main no matter what oil was run. But lets face facts, a high mileage engine - 150k+ - will be more prone to leak on rotating shaft seals regardless of mileage. How many owners assumed it was the addition of synthetic that caused the "new" leak?

· Registered
2,122 Posts
The issue is the detergents in the synthetic are better and don't break down the way they do in regular dino oil. Thus they clean the engine better. Over time the sludge build up actually seals the engine and stops a lot of leaks. The addition of synthetic oil, within a very few miles( like less than 500 ), can dissolve those deposits and thus you get leaks. It can also lead to increased oil consumption as the build up around internal seals( like valve seals, head gasket inner sealed areas, etc... )is cleaned up and then you get leaks.

I agree the leaks would be less likely in newer vehicles with the rubber and metal gaskets when compared to the old cork style which could dry out. Still would concern me if my engine was over 50-75K unless I had been very religious with maintenance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.