DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have these in our trucks I am wondering how they look at night from the drivers view point.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had these in my old Corolla (which are notorious for their awful head lights) and noticed a huge difference in output over the old Sylvanias in it. The light was much clearer; they won't look white, but they have a lot less of the yellow you expect from standard bulbs. However, as the packaging says and I was warned, this comes at a cost; they are shorter in life than your normal standard bulb. They are really pricey though, and I'm not sure they're worth the premium over the normal Silverstars.

I'm probably going to put GE Nighthawks (not the Nighthawk Platinum) in my truck because I've used them for smaller bulbs with major improvements and they seem to be a nice mix of value and brightness while the reviews I've read mention no major shortening of the bulb's life span.

If your head light lens is cloudy and reducing output you may want to consider using a kit to polish it before changing bulbs, though these have varying degrees of effectiveness; the Turtle Wax kit I used cleaned up my Corolla and my father's Suzuki very nicely, but the Corolla has a lens like the Dakota, and after about 4 months it seemed to be starting to cloud a bit again, while to compare the Suzuki (which simply has a clear plastic lens) is still clear. It will eventually cloud up again no matter what kit you use, but some are better than others depending on the amount of cloudiness they get off in the first place and the sealing compound they use. The composition of the lens itself is also a variable.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya thanks for the info I kept looking after I posted this and also found sylvania cool blue headlights for quite cheaper as well but even the ultras are pretty good considering I was wanting hids which would have costed 124 dollars

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Some folks say they what more light from the bulbs but I have found that the SSU's are just right for standard lighting. If the headlight housing is adjusted correctly, the SSU's put out more than enough light without blinding on-coming traffic. I had the SSU's in my fog light housings but they were way too bright.

:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
FWIW I put Nighthawks in my front housings (head lamps, turn signals) and they are much brighter. My turn signals/parking lights are vastly superior, and the Philips that were in it can't even compete with the light output with the Nighthawks. I would say an easy distance gain of about a yard head on, and a good foot and a half to the sides. The clarity seems to be very close to the Ultras too, but the output isn't quite as intense. For $20 though (and they have a $5 rebate on them, so unless you're a dolt like me and forget to clip the UPC before throwing them out they're only $15)... I don't think you can beat them for value.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have also used the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs but not the Ultra as with what was said about the life of the bulb. The ultra has a lot brighter output with a lot shorter life, I use the step above the base Silverstar bulb and have had a very useful life of around three to four years depending on nighttime usage.

HID's are too pricey and I feel that they are not worth the cost of the upgrade as the low cost kits only have Low beam ONLY bulbs, That is just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have silver star ultras in 2 dakotas and they are huge improvment over stock.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
What lights did you go with?

Sorry I didnt get on and chime in. Been very busy.

Don't laugh but I use $11 cheap ebay headlights. Barely blue in appearance if you look at the truck. And totally white looking at the road driving. They do not last as long as these headlights but they are WAY cheaper. I actually gave these headlights away to my friend once I found out about these cheapos.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a left taillight issue that ended up being just a fuse so i have cheapo sylvanias in there but i am probably just gonna order a 35w 6000k hid kit from ddmtuning.com

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
ddm is a great place. I bought the hids for my z there.

Hids are the way to go. But when and IF I go hids I will have to do what DartBoy did. His are BA!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ddm is a great place. I bought the hids for my z there.

Hids are the way to go. But when and IF I go hids I will have to do what DartBoy did. His are BA!
What did dart boy do?

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Retro fit Marimoto mini projectors and hids behind some custom clear housings that he keeps a secret what are. Haha it's the coolest setup on a dak i've seen.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I had them in the truck I just sold, if I they would fit, I would've taken them. I love them, they weren't HID's but if you have Ultras in Heads/Fogs, you will be happy with the output over stock...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.