DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im due for an oil change. right now im running 5w-30 conventional oil. some people have told me i should switch to synthetic. my truck has 65k miles on it and im worried that switching to full synthetic might lead to some leaks that i really dont want. should i go for the switch? what about running a synthetic blend? or should i just stick with the conventional? im using wix oil filters btw. if i do switch, im probably goin to take it to a shop where they hook it up to the machine and just run synthetic through it until all the old oil is gone. if i do synthetic blend is this necesarry?

·
Banned
167 Posts
just change like you would normally and put in the synthetic oil.. there is no special procedure you have to do when switching. why synthetic blend? just go all the way.
i wouldn't worry about leaks. psh 65k is not much at all...now if you were 150k over then i'd worry.

·
Coolest Ram Club in FL
4,295 Posts
i did my 2002 4.7 at 63k just after i bought her and you will not have a problem that engine runs quieter to me and runs a lil bit smoother and its just over all better for the truck..dont worry about it man just get r done!!!

·
LivetoRide
2,733 Posts
exactly, when I had my 2000 ram I bought it with 71K on it and switched to full synthetic right away with no problems, ran great/smooth until I sold it with 106K or so on it. I would never bother with a synthetic blend IMO.

·
AirFuelEddie
5,443 Posts
My big gripe with the synthetic blends is how much Dino to Synth. ratio do they use? One drop? 1/2 and 1/2, (don't count on it!). If I use a blend I mix my own. 3 qts. Synthetic to 2-3 Qts. Dino. Same brand name.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so scratch the synthetic blend idea, i guess im going to switch to synthetic. do i need to have the system flushed or can i just put synthetic in there? any special procedure?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Just like any oil change, take a drive to get the engine hot, drop the oil/filter. I let mine drain until the drips are very slow, just gets the most dirt out each time. Then replace the oil filter, pour the recommended amount of oil in (give the quarts some time to drain). Start it, check for leaks. To get the most accurate level, you should check it again when the oil is hot.

·
AirFuelEddie
5,443 Posts
I always pre fill the filter a day before when I can. Especially in a cummins or any upside down filter with the "mouth" facing up. On a dry filter it will take a few seconds of "dry" running before the filter fills with oil.

·
Registered
619 Posts
threetwos said:
I always pre fill the filter a day before when I can. Especially in a cummins or any upside down filter with the "mouth" facing up. On a dry filter it will take a few seconds of "dry" running before the filter fills with oil.
True that, starting is hard on your engine!

·
Light Footed Hemi
33 Posts
what does filling it a day before do? I have heard about filling it before hand, not a day before.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I switched to synthetic at 46,000 miles and have 48,000 miles and no problems.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ive always filled the filter with oil a few minutes before i install it. now, which oil is good? mobil, pennzoil, quaker state, q torque power, castrol syntec, etc.?

·
Coolest Ram Club in FL
4,295 Posts
DannyMK2 said:
ive always filled the filter with oil a few minutes before i install it. now, which oil is good? mobil, pennzoil, quaker state, q torque power, castrol syntec, etc.?
Ive always run Mobil 1 and never had any problems...

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a 120,000 miles on my truck. Would it be a good idea to run synthetic?

·
Registered
619 Posts
ImAti0n said:
I have a 120,000 miles on my truck. Would it be a good idea to run synthetic?
What I've heard from guys at the dealership, is that modern vehicles are made with seals and gaskets that are far superior to those made when that switching rule was made up. I switched to synthetic on my '65 Olds ninety eight, and got some valve cover leaks and oil pan leaks. I just switched my wife's car to synthetic (105,000 mi.) and nothing is leaking, go for it.

·
Brian
796 Posts
I got 148 on mine and really want to switch, but I am afraid of the leaks

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
DannyMK2 said:
Are you serious? You might as well start another poll because you will get that many damn answers. Everyone has their opinion and will back it up with truthful facts. My opinion? Any modern oil is fine as long as it matches what the manual suggests. Dino or synthetic, your choice, they will all work fine if you change them according to how you drive. If you drive "severe", stop-n-go, towing, etc., dino changed often is plenty. You won't get any benefit from synthetic on short change intervals. Great thing to do if your anal: At oil change time, send a sample of your oil to Blackstone labs, they'll give you a complete break down of your internal wear and tear. Plus if you constantly do it, you'll notice any change from your engine profile right away.

If your real anal, get a pre-luber and check out this forum and info: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

·
Registered
127 Posts
My day job is in the computing industry but I'm slowly helping my retirement with synthetic oils. I won't advertise here because I'm just a fellow Dodge truck owner that has access to some answers.

Amsoil has an FAQ site with some of the common questions and answers as they relate to changing a vehicle over to synthetic oils.

Here is their answer to the amount of miles or vehicle age in regards making the change. It does not apply to just Amsoil, it can apply to all synthetics.

"Synthetic lubricants do have an inherent detergency that cleans and removes conventional motor oil deposits left over in an engine. However, motor oils are designed to help swell seals slightly to prevent leakage. The only time you would observe seal leakage is if the seals are already damaged or showing signs of leakage around them. As long as the vehicle has been well maintained, and in good mechanical condition, it can be switched to a synthetic lubricant at any mileage."

If I can help in answering questions for the group let me know either through PM or on a valid forum question. You guys have answered a lot for me about my truck!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.