DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Buckeye Big Horn
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I created a switch panel under my radio for my Hella's and Stereo. Here is the process. 3/16" plexiglass. Piece ended up being 8" x 1 3/4".

The plexiglass fits in an area behind the dash bezel. There is room to fit the 8" x 1.75" piece in there. The 3/16" plexiglass is pinched between the bezel and the dashboard / storage bin, and is held in by the 10 metal clips.

I am not completely happy with this piece. I did not have flat black paint, so I just shot it with a gray for now. The holes alignment did not come out real good, because I used a hand drill and a wood spade bit. Also, the LED switches are a little "yellow" and not green. When I do this again in the warmer weather, I will have to make some changes. Here are some photos:

PICTURE OF PLEXIGLASS PIECE AFTER DRILLING

ASSORTMENT OF SWITCHES. I MIGHT TRY THE PADDLE SWITCHES NEXT TIME.

SHOT WITH A GRAY PAINT AND SWITCHES STARTING TO BE INSTALLED

PIGTAILS BEING INSTALLED. THIS IS SO I CAN REMOVE MY TRIM PANEL WITH ENOUGH SLACK TO BE ABLE TO UNPLUG THE WIRES AND COMPLETELY TAKE IT OFF

SEMI-INSTALLED IN THE DASH. SINCE IT GETS PINCHED BETWEEN THE BEZEL AND THE DASH, I ONLY USED ELECTRICAL TAPE TO HOLD IT IN PLACE WHILE I SNAPPED IT IN. NO DAMAGE TO THE DASH.

INSTALLED. MAN I WISH I HAD SOME FLAT BLACK PAINT.

LIT UP. THE GREEN DOES NOT MATCH THE STEREO ENOUGH.

LEFT SWITCH RUNS THE HELLAS OFF OF THE BRIGHT LIGHTS.
2ND SWITCH WILL BE FOR THE HELLAS HOT, WITHOUT THE BRIGHTS
3RD SWITCH IS FOR FUTURE FOG LAMPS
4TH SWITCH, TURNS OFF SUBWOOFER REMOTE WIRE, SO I CAN COMPLETELY TURN OFF THE SUBS WHEN THE LITTLE ONES ARE IN THE CAR.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
not as cool as the Ray Evernham edition ram but cool :D

·
Registered
31,151 Posts
like the idea......just looks weird against the woodgrain.

could you have molded this into the plastic under the radio?

·
05HemiBigHorn
132 Posts
Thats a great idea but I would have opted for the style with the single led in the switch and maybe painted the plexi black. I am thinking those would be way too annoying at night, too bright. Still great idea and wish I could do that on my 05.

·
bubbagoonboy
798 Posts
how did you wire the hellas to two different switches one with the high beams and one hot that is exactly what i wanted to do and my buddy just looked at me like i was retarded.

·
Buckeye Big Horn
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
like the idea......just looks weird against the woodgrain.

could you have molded this into the plastic under the radio?
I agree. I could not fit the switches into the Crutchfield radio adapter kit. too many plastic support pieces in there.

Thats a great idea but I would have opted for the style with the single led in the switch and maybe painted the plexi black. I am thinking those would be way too annoying at night, too bright. Still great idea and wish I could do that on my 05.
It is too bright. I will opt for the toggle switches with a small led built into the tip. I have some at home. When it warms up, that is what I will go with.

I had no flat black in the garage when I did this. I was pissed. Almost drove out at 11:30 PM to get some. Opted for spraying it with the gray I had. The holes are not completely lined up as I would like, so I will be making another piece out of the left overs.

Thanks for the compliment!!!

how did you wire the hellas to two different switches one with the high beams and one hot that is exactly what i wanted to do and my buddy just looked at me like i was retarded.
I have not figured this out yet. I have asked a few engineers at work to see if they can come up with something. I will post something if I can work it out. My buddy scratched his head and was baffled. I want to be abe to have headlights, fogs and Hellas on at the same time. I don't think you can do the Fog Jumper on an '06.

Looks good, but i would get the switches with just a small light at the top. I give it :tup::tup:
THANKS!!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
The two switch is easy and it's really no difference then using a standard SPDT center off switch. Like any high power like you will need a relay. The first switch you are using will have to be connected to the factory highbeam wire through the switch then out to the relay. On the second switch you will need and I strongly suggest finding a factory wire that is hot when the ignition is on so when the ignition is off the lights will go off. Run that through the second switch then to the same wire as the first switch going to the relay. Only problem with this setup is if you have the first switch on and turn the second switch on it will feedback into the highbeam switch, turning on your highbeams.

As for the fogs not sure on that one with an 06.

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
Doesn't look too bad... got a couple tips for the next one you make:

Instead of painting the front side, paint the back side. That will give it color while allowing the plastic to shine and not look dull. When doing that though, be sure you don't touch the side your painting as you'll see it from the front.

When I made my holes, I just used the largest drill I had (not a spade bit) then carefully widened the hole with a dremel.

You already mentioned the different switches and I definatly suggest using them.

There's another radio bezel that will move the radio up and put another cuby hole under it. Will not only give you a cubby back, but helps clean up the look from the stock radio.

Attachments

·
^GM Goodwrench Certified^
2,918 Posts
too bad you have the wood dash, if you had the all silver, oh man it would be even more awesome!! nice job!

·
Lovin My Ram
525 Posts
dang u stole my idea that i was working on... but i was thinking on using some flaked galvinized steel that i can get at work! that would look SUPER SWEET

and i have the silver trim too! but alas i dont have anything to but a switch too lol

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
too bad you have the wood dash, if you had the all silver, oh man it would be even more awesome!! nice job!
Mine? I used to feel the same way... but after driving the truck for awhile, it started to grow on me. I had the other center bezel before I upgraded to the one I have now.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.