DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a '87 shortbox 4x4 im not sure if it is a 1/2 or 3/4 ton but i would like to put a wrecker unit on it. is this a good idea\what would i need to change to make this work. also could somebody tell me how to find out the whole half or three quarter ton thing

·
Mopar Madness - Get it...
4,032 Posts
I don't think I'd want to put a tow unit on anything that wasn't at least a 1-ton... Unless you plan on towing nothing but Kia's and Geo's.....

Eh, it's your driveline/suspension/frame though.....

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
I don't think they make a wrecker bed for shortbeds. You could however just mount the boom in the bed. Like bherder says though, a half-ton ain't gonna handle much. You could swap in some 1-ton rear springs though I guess.

·
Registered
91 Posts
yes you "could"get a bed for it but you would not have a "tunnel box unless you made the frame longer and widened the wheel base I would nt go any lower than something comprable to an f450-550 range when I drove a wrecker thats what we used and even then it drove like a plate if you put too much weight in the back not to mention the frame streaghining and legthining you would have to do 1 ton or better with a nice loooong wheel base would be preferred

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
You guys forgot about auto or stick. If its auto then he will need to change to a stick for the winch to work off the PTO unless he goes for an electric winch that doesn't have half the power

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
OR he can run a hydraulic winch that runs off a pump mounted to the engine. My Dad has one on his old Chevy rollback, it's rated to 10k lbs. His runs off a PTO, but it could be just as easily run off a engine-driven pump.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah it is a auto but seems how it sounds like this truck would be useless as a wrecker i think i will just buy the truck that i wanted as a wrecker for a long time,so i dont do things sloppy and flimsey

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i wanted to so i could start a carrer on towing but also becasue i love tow trucks. ill have to wait untill im 18 to start but i would have a bit of a head start on things if i already had a rig set up for the job. and seems how i know automatics really suck for stuff like that i will just get a 60 or 61 apache to have for a wrecker and leave this truck alone!

·
Registered
89 Posts
i would think that in the southren states or arizona there are older 1 ton dodge tow trucks waiting to be restored. make it a project. if your not yet 18, it would be a great idea. buying one thats all there is easier than trying to make one from parts. besides, some of those older ones had 440's and 413's. just a thought. have fun !!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.