DodgeTalk Forum banner

If they made 'em, would you buy 'em?!

• SWEET MERCIFUL CRAP, YES!! GIMME GIMME!

Votes: 9 100.0%
  • Nah! What would I need 'em for?!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been in touch with a guy from Hotchkis about why they don't have (Front and rear) sway bar kits for our Rams.

He told me that there isn't much demand for them. I told him I could probably prove him wrong.

What do you think? If they had 'em, would you buy 'em?

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know I'd like one for the rear. How about Hellwig do they make them for Rams? I know there less expensive.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hellwig has 'em for the rear. I'm not happy with mine.

Endlinks are pretty shoddy. Already had one snap on me. They replaced it, no questions asked, but the design is seriously flawed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the info!!! I take it that the Hotchkis are of much better quality? Let me ask you, was there a noticable difference from installing a rear sway bar. I just bought a 2003 Ram and not only does it have body roll but if I hit a pot hole the truck will leap sideways. Not too safe. Do you think new shocks and that sway bar will help.

Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
From the kits I've seen for other trucks, the endlinks look to be of MUCH higher quality for the Hotchkis.

The Hellwig endlink has (I'll try to do it here) a horizontal mounting point, where the Hotchkis has a vertical mount for the endlink.

Hellwig:
--------------
O O O O O |
--------------
And it's 2 pieces identical pieces that bolt together to form the endlink

Looks kinda like an "I" (when bolted together) where the top and bottom are the mounting points. They ARE adjustable for lowered trucks, but the holes are the weak points. (Mine broke right at one of the adjustment holes... too weak)

The Hotchkis kit looks more like the factory style. Seems much sturdier.

Regarding handling, I noticed a HUGE improvement with body roll, but an even bigger improvement would be to replace the factory front bar with a solid one and urethane bushings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey thanks for the info!!! Is it that the factory bar is just not beefy enough and isn't the Hotchkis sway bars hollow? Does anyone else make aftermarket sway bars for these trucks?

·
"1EVLRAM"
581 Posts
??

Are you talking about the new Rams? Hotchkis has sway bars for our trucks. They are extremly well made. I also have an extra set for sale. Brand new in an unopened box.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, was referring to the 93-2001

gtm: There isn't any rear sway bar. The front... just leaves a bit to be desired. NOt sure if the Hotchkis is solid or hollow, but the bigger the bar diameter, the better handling and less sway you'll have. Also, getting rid of the rubber bushings gets rid of a lot of excess play in the componants.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

The guy I talked to was pretty cool. He said, basically, that if enough people write in asking for 'em, they'll come out with them. I just need to get SOME idea and feedback from you guys to see if I can get 'em going on this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I know this is a little of the topic, but I have a question. Can you or has anyone installed a rear sway bar from a 2500 on a 1500? Would the end links be too long? Would I have to fabricate a braket to mount it to the axle?

Thanks for the help in advance!

DNewmanTA

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I could be wrong, since I haven't really looked too far into it, but as long as you go from 2wd to 2wd or from 4x4 to 4x4, it shouldn't make a difference.

Ride height is probably more important than the rating (since 4x4 is taller)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thank, I am going to look in to it. I am looking for a little less body roll.

Thanks,

DNewmanTA

·
"1EVLRAM"
581 Posts
Here is a description from Hotchkis's website.

Tech Notes:
1.5" Hollow Front Bar
1" Hollow Rear Bar
Includes:
HD Greasable Brackets, End Link Bushings,
Dog Bone End Links, & Brackets.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I stil haven't been able to find any info on retrofitting a 2500 rear sway bar on a 1500 (4x4 or 4x2). Don't know where else to look.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.