DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Ram 1500 w/5.7l Hemi
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I got a 2003 ram 1500 w/5.7 hemi rear wheel drive. The engine is relatively new, I bought it from Frazier engines & transmissions, it's their heavy duty high endurance model that they sell to other outfits that sell it at an 1,800 dollar mark up. I broke it in myself and it's a damn good engine, but the body on my truck is a little ruff from being in the Arizona/Nevada sun. I don't want to give up this engine, so I was thinking if I bought a truck with a blown engine I can just swap them out. But can I drop this into a 2003 Ram 1500 5.7 4x4? Are the motor mounts the same? What else would I need to change if anything? I appreciate any advice that you could give me on this as I would rather drop it into a 4x4 than another rear wheel drive.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I’d think it would be plug and play. If you buy a complete ride with a blown engine, all you’d do is switch over during the swap, so I wouldn’t think engine mounts would be an issue. Old engine break a valve spring or drop a seat?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’d think it would be plug and play. If you buy a complete ride with a blown engine, all you’d do is switch over during the swap, so I wouldn’t think engine mounts would be an issue. Old engine break a valve spring or drop a seat?
Oh no, I blew it good. No way to fix a broken rod and lifters too. That's when I got a hold of Frazier, they make the heavy duty American made one that's better than what the truck came with that was made in Mexico, they all have weak rods and lifters, that's why a tow truck driver I know said he was picking them up all along the highways lately about 3 years ago. Beautiful engine. I did the break in just like their head mechanic told me to. It's a long block, thats why I was wondering if I could drop it in a 4x4, because what I got now is a rear wheel drive. I shouldn't have a problem buying an 2003 with "Mechanical damage" which with this year means blown rods. But I would rather drop this engine in a 4x4 if I can. If not, then it will have to the rear wheel. This engine is fast though, a couple of times on the highway coming home, some young guy wanted to race, I smoked him. He was driving a much newer Ram, should have seen the look on his face when I blew past him in my old 2003. He thought he had me, not even close.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, that'll do. So I got to start looking for an 03 Ram 4x4 w/5.7l Hemi. Thanks, I needed that confirmed. Didn't want to buy a 4x4 and find out I could only use my engine in a rear wheel drive.

·
Red Trucking Admin
3,492 Posts
Yeah, that'll do. So I got to start looking for an 03 Ram 4x4 w/5.7l Hemi. Thanks, I needed that confirmed. Didn't want to buy a 4x4 and find out I could only use my engine in a rear wheel drive.
Even the trans is the same, just a difference of whether it has a tailshaft (2wd) or a transfer case adapter (4wd) bolted to the back end of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts