1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
did ya pull the spark plus?

·
Registered
258 Posts
OUCH! Did you drain the engine oil yet? You probably at the very least will need to drain all your fluids (Engine oil, Diffs and tranny) to be sure no water is mixed in. I would do that FIRST BEFORE TRYING TO START ENGINE!!! Other than that, check your fuses, etc. You may have fried some electrical stuff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked the oil, it looks OK, Tranny fluid looks Ok too .... It won't turn over at all. It makes a "clunk" noise like the starter doesn't have enouigh umph to push the cylinders over, I'm thinkin the cylinders might be full of fluid which won't compress, which in turn won't let the engine turn over. Waiting for the insurance adjuster to come out and look at it? Should I pull all the plugs and turn it over?

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
It's called hydrostatic lock......

·
All Around Great Guy
12,674 Posts
New valves! Cant compress liquids

·
Registered
525 Posts
Try to remove the spark plugs and see if it will turn over. If not, you probably bent a rod and it will be expen$ive. I don't think your valves will be the issue, but I was wrong once before.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Yup, pull the plugs and turn it over. If it turns over good and water comes out of the plug holes, do it a few times until no more water comes out.

Change the oil anyway. Better safe than sorry.

If it still won't turn over with the plugs out. It's big $$.

·
Finally a 5 speed
2,419 Posts
BTW, you dont have to pull all 16, just pull one out of each cylinder.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Everyone always asks me why I didn't get the 4x4. I always tell them I'd do stuff like that and tear it up. Good luck with the truck, hope it don't cost you too much $$$.

·
Banned
3,852 Posts
I did that to an ATV last weekend and it was water locked!!!! Pulled the spark plug and got it running In about 20mins. Changed the oil and all the fluids!!!! Same thing with your truck. The only thing is..........How long did you tried to start It!!!! Thats going to be the different as to how bad it will be!!!! My be bent!!!!

·
All Around Great Guy
12,674 Posts
hemi1569 said:
New valves! Cant compress liquids

Yeah the other guy had it right. I meant rods but it came out wrong :eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All I did was take off the air cleaner and see the lake sitting in the box on top of the throttle body, I figured it was time for the Dodge dealer to look at it at that point ... I tried to start it probaly 5 times in the last 2 days, did the same thing each time, "clunk" is the only way I can describe the sound it made. Adjuster is coming out in the morning to look at it, then it's off to the dealer .... Might as well have the pros look at it ... I'll let ya know how it turns out .....

Thanks for the advice guys,
Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Don't want to burst your Bubble Mike...But I did the same.

I was out Moose Hunting with some buddies. One of the backroads I was going down was flooded out by a beaver dam...I still tried to cross it.

Needless to say the water got deep, Fast.

The damage to my truck was:

2 broken connecting rods
1 cracked connecting rod
3 bent connecting rods

A lot of bent valves

And one big MOFO of a hole in the block :rck:

Insurance is getting me a brand spanking new motor.

But it kinda shitty to be without my truck...and driving a PT Cruiser as a loaner...

Y'all can see the pictures and check out what my old motor looks like :D

Jimmy

Attachments

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
Ouch, that has to hurt.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I guess I am just one of those guys who grins and laughs...

Shit happens.

I've lived enough to know that plastic and metal can be fixed.

Hell, I am one of the few guys in this town to actually take a brand new truck out wheelin'.

Life's short. Blow a Hemi :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.