Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Dodge Ram Daytona
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there everyone,

Ok, here is an odd one...I have a 2005 1500 4x4 with a 4" lift done about 20k miles ago (now at 64k) and both the inner and outer tie rods are shot. I go get replacements (MOOG ES3538 for the outer and EV407 for the inner). These are the parts found online at Rock Auto and also at the parts stores locally. My dilemma is that the outer tie rod ends are too long (see the first photo showing a MEVOTECH on the left, then the MOOG, then the stock one I removed. See the difference? I even found a part store with another brand, still the same thing. So what gives? Also the new inner tie rod is longer as well (new one is on left in second and third photos, stock on right). How in the world do I get these on? I cannot even crank the wheel far enough to get them in and the outer tie rod ends only thread so far on the inner tie rod and are too long when compared to the stock ones removed even when using the bad stock inner tie rod with the new outer tie rod ends. So, any suspension experts out there? What in the world do I need to do? What am I missing? I thought about turning the steering wheel back to the right (working on drivers side now) a bit to pull the rack more to center so I can get these new parts on, but then the other side will not be in the right position, correct? I would then never get the other side installed, correct? Hope all that makes sense, any ideas would be great. I am sure I cannot be the only one who has gone to do this and was like, what the heck??? Thanks in advance for the help!
:gr_patrio

Attachments

·
Dodge Ram Daytona
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE:

It seems that the Rancho lift kit comes with different tie rod ends....the reason the take off ones are shorter. Also, the instructions indicate that you need to cut off about a 1/2" from the inner tie rod on the threads, which explains why the one I took out is shorter. I did not install the lift kit myself, which is why I had no idea about this (I figured it out by finding a thread about a lift kit install).
So, the tie rod ends from Rancho are covered under the lifetime warranty, but they only lasted about 20k miles, not very good. Does anyone see why I cannot cut down the MOOG tie rod ends to match the size of the Rancho part? Would that affect the integrity of the part? It is threaded all the way through. Or should I just get replacements from Rancho? I do not have the tools to cut down the tie rod ends or the new inner tie rod threads.

UGH, nothing can be simple, can it? :D

·
truckman323
466 Posts
I just did mine about a month ago. 6" lift, I just cut about 1/2" of thread off the inner tie rod and was good to go. shouldn't be a problem.

Also, with the knuckles on the lift, the moog outers won't fit with my 17" wheels, so I'll end up getting bigger diameter wheels one day...

·
Dodge Ram Daytona
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just did mine about a month ago. 6" lift, I just cut about 1/2" of thread off the inner tie rod and was good to go. shouldn't be a problem.

Also, with the knuckles on the lift, the moog outers won't fit with my 17" wheels, so I'll end up getting bigger diameter wheels one day...
Thanks for the reply. What did you use to cut down the inner tie rods? I would LOVE to be able to use the MOOG outers as having only 20k on the Rancho ones is certainly not what I call "durable parts". Sheesh, and they come with the lift kit that should take abuse, right? My truck is not used off-road, so certainly they should last a lot longer. They do have a lifetime warranty from Rancho, but do I want to change them every 20k? NOPE!

I have 20" wheels so I should be good there for clearance....but with the MOOG outers being longer, do you not see that as an issue? Did you use your stock outers (which should be the same length as the new MOOG ones) with your 6" lift? Curious that Rancho included the new tie rod ends with their 4" kit.....

·
truckman323
466 Posts
I changed both outers and inners all at once. Your goal is to install the new tie rods to the same length (from the rack to the knuckle) as what came off (assuming your truck is aligned properly. The longer outer tie rod ends will be fine, but make sure the bolt fits your knuckle snugly. When you are cutting the inner tie rod, just dont take off too much so when you get it aligned, they dont run out of threads adjusting the toe "out", but make sure you take off enough so they have room to adjust toe "in."

i used a plasma cutter, but a cutting wheel, grinder with a cutting wheel, a Dremel with a lot of cutting wheels haha, or even a good old hack saw will do the trick. If you're going for cheap, just go get a cheap hand hack saw with couple blades from Home Depot/Lowe's and have at it.

·
Dodge Ram Daytona
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I changed both outers and inners all at once. Your goal is to install the new tie rods to the same length (from the rack to the knuckle) as what came off (assuming your truck is aligned properly. The longer outer tie rod ends will be fine, but make sure the bolt fits your knuckle snugly. When you are cutting the inner tie rod, just dont take off too much so when you get it aligned, they dont run out of threads adjusting the toe "out", but make sure you take off enough so they have room to adjust toe "in."

i used a plasma cutter, but a cutting wheel, grinder with a cutting wheel, a Dremel with a lot of cutting wheels haha, or even a good old hack saw will do the trick. If you're going for cheap, just go get a cheap hand hack saw with couple blades from Home Depot/Lowe's and have at it.
I actually tried the new outers on the old inners that were already cut down, still too long as there are just not enough threads to have it get on far enough. I did call Rancho today and once I fax my invoice for buying the lift kit, they will ship me two new outer tie rods (the ones that are bad, and on the right in the first photo). I hope they are better than the originals from two years ago, they did change the part number so I hope they are better, otherwise I will be doing this again in less than 2 years.

As for cutting the new inner tie rods down, I think I have a buddy with a plasma cutter, would be good to see how that puppy works and maybe an excuse to buy one. I do not want to hack on that thing all day....do have the dremel...but that would likely use a lot of those cutting wheels!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
The tie rods from lifts i see always seem to be crap. I think its best to just use a longer pitman arm and use stock tie rods, well at least thats how it is on the heavy duties. Cause the real issue here is alot of the time these lift companies discontinue their lift kits then when you need replacement parts you cant get them. Its just much easier in the long run to stay with stop tie rod setup (upgraded to moog ends at least) so if you ever need to replace them you can go to any auto store rather then wait weeks or months and run the risk of them being discontinued.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Also a nice cut off wheel or a mitre saw with a metal blade would work well cutting those down

·
Dodge Ram Daytona
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The tie rods from lifts i see always seem to be crap. I think its best to just use a longer pitman arm and use stock tie rods, well at least thats how it is on the heavy duties. Cause the real issue here is alot of the time these lift companies discontinue their lift kits then when you need replacement parts you cant get them. Its just much easier in the long run to stay with stop tie rod setup (upgraded to moog ends at least) so if you ever need to replace them you can go to any auto store rather then wait weeks or months and run the risk of them being discontinued.
Oh yes, I totally agree with you....but on my 1500 its not an option. So far at least my kit I have is still available from Rancho, but for how long who knows.
I actually got the replacement tie rod ends just today from Rancho, at least they look better than the original ones I took off from the lift kit, but the package says made in Taiwan! YUCK! They are an updated part number since my lift kit install in 2009, so maybe they are better...although I do not want to use Taiwan parts on my truck (makes me wonder what else of that lift kit is made in Taiwan???). Isn't anything made here in the USA anymore????
So now I get to cut off a 1/2 inch of threads from my new inner tie rods and should be able to finally put it all back together and get it aligned.

I actually got only 19k miles out of those that came in the lift kit too, yeah only 19k miles...and I don't even go off-road hardly at all! So, is this something I will need to do every 15-20k? Not something I should have to. With the way the lift kit is made, not sure I have any other options since I need to have a shorter tie rod end....unless I can find a MOOG or better replacement crossover part number for the Rancho part I just got.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
yea you might be at a roadblock. I had a procomp lift and when my tie rods went on it i tried to get replacements and they said the kit is discontinued because when the tie rod ends go people want to be able to replace them right away so they make all their lifts now with just a drop pitman arm and use the stock drag link and tie rod setup. I just went with the upgraded steering from dodge for heavy duty trucks, so far so good for me. I hope your tie rod issues work out for you

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.