DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to switch my stock tires 265-70-R17 on my 06 Ram, 3500, 4x4 to 315-70-R17. Do I need to lift the truck? If so, how much $ and how high?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Depends on the front rake. You can either go with leveling coil spring spacers or new front taller coils. Superlift sells leveling coils. Top Gunz customs sells coil spacers as do a few other company's. If you level it you can fit 35's on it.

·
Josh
4,202 Posts
hey STL hemi what can i use on my 05 4X4 hemi to level the front end?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
05 1500's still have torsen bars. You can crank the key's to lift the front or you can take the overloads out of the rear to lower the back so it sit's level.

·
Don't fear the sheepdog
6,404 Posts
Oh boy, another excuse to post a pic.
rollinstnd420, here's a pic of my '05 1500 4X4, next to my sisters '04 1500 4X4. The only suspension difference is I cranked the torsion bars.

And to answer your question qledco. My boss put coil spacers on his Ferd, for $40. I've seen people on here with 1500's that are leveled running 35's so a 3500 on 315's should be OK.
Your stock tires are 31.6", and the 315/70/17's are 34.4".

Attachments

·
Josh
4,202 Posts
hey shot could you pm the details to me on how i do this?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Shots said:
Oh boy, another excuse to post a pic.
rollinstnd420, here's a pic of my '05 1500 4X4, next to my sisters '04 1500 4X4. The only suspension difference is I cranked the torsion bars.

And to answer your question qledco. My boss put coil spacers on his Ferd, for $40. I've seen people on here with 1500's that are leveled running 35's so a 3500 on 315's should be OK.
Your stock tires are 31.6", and the 315/70/17's are 34.4".
here's my 1500 35x12.5x17 had torsion keys changed out and add a leaf...about 2" lift all around...no rubbing at all

·
Josh
4,202 Posts
how do i crank the torsion keys? And will this cause anything to wear abmormally on my truck?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
rollinstnd420 said:
how do i crank the torsion keys? And will this cause anything to wear abmormally on my truck?
There are adjusting bolts underneth that you tighten to raise the front end up. You'll need an alignment afterwards or you will wear the tires on the inner edge due too the negative camber. If you lift the front end up all the way you'll need new shocks up front because the stockers are too short.

·
Josh
4,202 Posts
Jimmy TJ said:
There are adjusting bolts underneth that you tighten to raise the front end up. You'll need an alignment afterwards or you will wear the tires on the inner edge due too the negative camber. If you lift the front end up all the way you'll need new shocks up front because the stockers are too short.
ok so is this a normal hand tool undergoing or is there some special tool i need and how much neg camber are we talking about i dont want slanted wheels!!

·
Don't fear the sheepdog
6,404 Posts
1st.... Sorry about the hijack qledco :hijacked:

2nd....
STL HEMI said:
Actually the OEM 2500/3500 265/70r17 tires measure 30 3/4" new or atleast mine did.
Good point. The numbers I gave are strictly off the P-Metric sizes. The rim width makes a difference in what the tire size actually ends up at. So two people can have identical tires, but end up with different measurements.

3rd.... There are a ton of threads on torsion bars, but here's a quickie. There are two bars that go from the front suspension, back under the cab. Follow those back, to where they end (pretty much under your feet). There will be a single bolt sticking down on each one. This is all you need to adjust. Jack the front end up to take the weight off it, then turn the bolt clockwise to raise the front end. I went 5 turns on mine, to make it level with the back. Set the truck back down, and measure to make sure you're where you want to be. Go get an alignment.... you'll need it. Your tires won't be angled after the alignment, and really not THAT bad before, but they will need done if you don't want to kill your tires. As for shocks.... I'm still running the stockers. They do top out if I go over a large bump really fast. This happens VERY rarely, so I haven't changed them yet. There are plenty of people who can recommend the correct shocks if you want to change them.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread......................

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.