DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know I read a while back about a surging issue some guys were having. Time for me to jump in on this. I never had a problem with a surge until yesterday.

Background:

Over the weekend I changed my plugs and I went with the same OEM champion coppers that were already in it. I gapped them at .40 and put them in with no problems. The old plugs that came out were a light brown in color with no oil on them, and the tips were not rounded at all and the gaping on all the old plugs was at .40 as well.

Current:

Yesterday I wasn't paying too much attention to the surge since it wasn't too noticeable and I was off in la-la land. But today it was much more pronounced and when I threw it in park to get out of the truck it surged once then died. (first time the truck has ever died). Fired it back up and got back to the office, put it in park and watched it. The rpms were surging from 400-1000 and took about 60-90 seconds to level back out at 650rpms.

Now I know from reading about a SC fix that eliminates the surging and puts the idle around 750rpms if I remember right. But my question is if I didn't have the surge at all before changing my plugs then why would it show up out of the blue after the plug change if the gaping on the new plugs was the same as the old ones?

And I haven't updated my SC for while now and I would like to figure this out without doing the update since it wasn't surging with the old plugs. I want to make sure this isn't being caused by something else first.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Test it man... Thats odd. Uninstall the SC and see if it still surges.

Are your plugs tightened to the correct torque specs?

Keep us posted man!

Dane

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dskirtech said:
Test it man... Thats odd. Uninstall the SC and see if it still surges.

Are your plugs tightened to the correct torque specs?

Keep us posted man!

Dane
Negative on the torque specs...I hand tightened to roughly what it took me to get them off after the truck had cooled down.

I couldn't get my big assed torque wrench in there.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MegaCabMan said:
Did you knock a vacuum line loose?
Good question...where should I go looking in there to check? I'm still learning where shit is located on these motors.

·
Banned
10,983 Posts
Boyo336 said:
I gapped them at .40 and put them in with no problems. The old plugs that came out were a light brown in color with no oil on them, and the tips were not rounded at all and the gaping on all the old plugs was at .40 as well.
I thought the gap spec is .045?

I installed my iridiums at .042 or so with no problems. I was told not to gap the iridiums.

Don't know if gapping yours at .045 would help bro?

Sil

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SilsHemi said:
I thought the gap spec .045?

I installed my iridiums at .042 or so with no problems. I was told not to gap the iridiums.

Don't know if gapping yours at .045 would help bro?

Sil
I'm not sure either. I had read somewhere (least I thought I did) that the PEM plugs were gapped tween .40-.45 so I figured I'd stay at .40 since thats where the old plugs were at when I pulled them and there was no sign of tip wear.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Boyo336 said:
I'm not sure either. I had read somewhere (least I thought I did) that the PEM plugs were gapped tween .40-.45 so I figured I'd stay at .40 since thats where the old plugs were at when I pulled them and there was no sign of tip wear.

Old ones were at .40 from your pistons hitting the bottom of the plug :D :D :D :D

(Watch Den turn green and get sick to his stomach)

HAHA!

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dskirtech said:
Old ones were at .40 from your pistons hitting the bottom of the plug :D :D :D :D

(Watch Den turn green and get sick to his stomach)

HAHA!
:YUK: :IDEA: :nutkick:

I'm not even gonna bother saying it since you already know what it's gonna be...

·
Registered
268 Posts
same thing happened to me after i changed the plugs, but it turned out that the EGR valve took a dump on me.

·
Registered
376 Posts
In my opinion it would be that they are not within torque specs. I know the HEMI sparks plugs do have to be at certain specs to function properly. You might want see if you can find a smaller torque wrench from a friend or get a loaner from like Auto Zone, Oreilly, or some other local parts store that has the loan-a-tool program.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
buckmann686 said:
same thing happened to me after i changed the plugs, but it turned out that the EGR valve took a dump on me.

How can I test that?

·
HC-Racing,LLC
1,841 Posts
Its not the tq spec on the plugs doing it.

Either vac. or sensor related..

$

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
highdollar said:
Its not the tq spec on the plugs doing it.

Either vac. or sensor related..

$

Where should I go looking to check on the motor?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Have you downloaded a manual? If not go the Hem Truck Club and get one FREE. That'll help you route out the vac lines to make sure one isn't loose. Can't help you with personal knowledge, haven't even had the air box open on mine (13k/mi probably time to check the filter... hugh?)

Do a search on the EGR that could be it. Just a quiescence that it happened right after a plug change...maybe it got jealous!! LOL

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MegaCabMan said:
Have you downloaded a manual? If not go the Hem Truck Club and get one FREE. That'll help you route out the vac lines to make sure one isn't loose. Can't help you with personal knowledge, haven't even had the air box open on mine (13k/mi probably time to check the filter... hugh?)

Do a search on the EGR that could be it. Just a quiescence that it happened right after a plug change...maybe it got jealous!! LOL

Yeah I have the manual on the home computer...I'll have a look when I get home. thanks for the input!

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting side note here...just took the truck for a spin and as long as it is in neutral or in gear there is no surge...soon as I put it in park it surged then died.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
since I dont have my manual here at work, can anyone tell me or better yet post a pic of where the EGR valve is located so I can check it?

Thanks

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
codes?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.