DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
I got one used from a DT member ($250.00 shipped, woohoo!!!) and started with the 87 tune with the rev limit and shift points set pretty much like most others who have posted here. It made a very big difference, not so much in HP, but it nearly eliminated the torque management BS that the truck has, made it shift like you would expect an auto to shift consequently making the truck feel alot faster. I ran a few tanks and decided to fill up with 93 octane and give the 91 tune a rip. The truck sounded different and felt slower, so, I put it back to stock so that I could update it online. That's when you really notice it, when you put it back to stock after running with it tuned!!! Slow and crappy torque managed shifts!!! All went well with the online update and I am about to put the 87 tune back in, I just like it better than the 91 so far. Maybe if/when the intake and the exhaust are upgraded, it will be able to take better advantage of the 91 tune? I like it!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Rotested said:
I got one used from a DT member ($250.00 shipped, woohoo!!!) and started with the 87 tune with the rev limit and shift points set pretty much like most others who have posted here. It made a very big difference, not so much in HP, but it nearly eliminated the torque management BS that the truck has, made it shift like you would expect an auto to shift consequently making the truck feel alot faster. I ran a few tanks and decided to fill up with 93 octane and give the 91 tune a rip. The truck sounded different and felt slower, so, I put it back to stock so that I could update it online. That's when you really notice it, when you put it back to stock after running with it tuned!!! Slow and crappy torque managed shifts!!! All went well with the online update and I am about to put the 87 tune back in, I just like it better than the 91 so far. Maybe if/when the intake and the exhaust are upgraded, it will be able to take better advantage of the 91 tune? I like it!
i might have to return it to stock and back again to see......i am now running the 91 tune with 93 octane fuel and my new homebrew CAI and it does seem stronger......maybe it is the time that has passed....??

·
Banned
4,174 Posts
from what i have been told by a local installer of truck performance accessories is that most of the time when you chip your truck that it takes a few tanks of gas for your truck to get use to the new parameter's(hopefully is spelled that right) . I could e wrong with this statement its just what a guy told me who has been in the biz for 20 or more years. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
well, here's the latest

i loaded the 91 tune, and have now run about 3/4 tank of 93 octane fuel through it

have since also made my own CAI intake, using the stock airbox, drilled two 2" holes in the bottom of it for more flow, and now i am just starting to notice a difference

tonight, just a few minutes ago, i was coming home from dinner, was running with the cruise set at 60, humming along, and i gave it half throttle, it picks up nicely, and then i mash it, it drops to third and the 3-4 shift at 90 mph was strong, not as strong as i would like, probably need a shift kit for that, but stronger than before

anyone reading this thread that saw my comments before about the SCT being worthless should also take into consideration the time frame, those were as i noted, initial impressions, as the days go on, it's getting better

now whether this is due to my CAI or switching to the 91 tune with 93 fuel, i dunno, but it is getting better, my $255 spent is just starting to look to be worth it, when my 20's get here, at least i will be able to adjust my speedo, thats a bonus

·
Registered
619 Posts
Thanks Spedly... It makes more sense to me now!..

·
Registered
91 Posts
After installing mine I went out and did a few 0-90 blasts and it seemed to take less time to improve. Each run I could feel a difference in the shift points and responsiveness.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i think my money was well spent ($275) I could definitely tell a diff. with the 91 oct setting at wot. Mine definitely shifts harder and chirps second sometimes. where i could really tell a diff. was in towing. it definitely added some torque. i think alot of people expect too much from these things and get dissapointed. Im happy with mine and would buy again for $275 or less. however i think my mileage has gone down, but i didnt buy a hemi for its fuel economy

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
la-moparmuscle said:
i think my money was well spent ($275) I could definitely tell a diff. with the 91 oct setting at wot. Mine definitely shifts harder and chirps second sometimes. where i could really tell a diff. was in towing. it definitely added some torque. i think alot of people expect too much from these things and get dissapointed. Im happy with mine and would buy again for $275 or less. however i think my mileage has gone down, but i didnt buy a hemi for its fuel economy
.yeah, but at WOT on 91 octane setting you are using at least 91 if not 93 octane fuel...could the fuel alone not make that difference? of course other than the torque management

that TM change seems to make alot of people have the perception of increased power when all it does is basically make it shift harder and at different RPM's

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
Next time I hit the track I will do a run without and with SC. See the difference. I know it made my truck faster, it was also fun scratching 2nd on WOT when I had my stock tires. When I upgraded to my Falkens that stopped. lol

With the cam, having the sc enabling higher shift points helps me out in my max hp. The 6.1 cam really benefits from the extended rev intervals. I enjoy my SC, but I am not one of those guys using all the Data Acq stuff all the time. I have never used it for a 1/4 mile time either. I paid cost for mine from a great friend who has a SC vendor's account. It was money well spent in my eyes.

KB

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
KB112 said:
Next time I hit the track I will do a run without and with SC. See the difference. I know it made my truck faster, it was also fun scratching 2nd on WOT when I had my stock tires. When I upgraded to my Falkens that stopped. lol

With the cam, having the sc enabling higher shift points helps me out in my max hp. The 6.1 cam really benefits from the extended rev intervals. I enjoy my SC, but I am not one of those guys using all the Data Acq stuff all the time. I have never used it for a 1/4 mile time either. I paid cost for mine from a great friend who has a SC vendor's account. It was money well spent in my eyes.

KB
i plan on doing the same if i ever get to the track!!! LOL

·
Registered
2 Posts
jamesnmandy said:
.yeah, but at WOT on 91 octane setting you are using at least 91 if not 93 octane fuel...could the fuel alone not make that difference? of course other than the torque management

that TM change seems to make alot of people have the perception of increased power when all it does is basically make it shift harder and at different RPM's
well I dont think just the higher octane made the diff. It feels like its pulling a little harder especially low to mid range. My truck seemed to lose alot of power in mid range but with it shifting out firmer it is stonger in that area. Yeah the tranny shift points is definitely the high point to this programmer IMO

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.