DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a superchips. i see alot of you guys run higher octane then you have the superchips set at. what are the advantages and disadvantages of that? right now ive got 87 in the truck. i should be fine with the 87 tune, right? what about the tow performance tune, what octane rating for that? thanks

·
Infinite Lives
6,499 Posts
You will need 91 octane for the towing and the performance.

·
God bless you
871 Posts
I have it on the 87 setting and i am running 93 octane and no problems. I filled up with 93 and was going to switch to performance setting when my superchips decided to stop working. As for advantages/disadvantages when running higher octane than superchips is set at, none that Ive noticed

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what about running the octane that superchips is set at?

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
...you can do that too...just remember when you start to do more moddin you will want to use higher octane to be on the safe side and not run lean (or too lean)

·
Hemi2nV
7,813 Posts
i run the 91 tune with 93 gas

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chefred112 said:
...you can do that too...just remember when you start to do more moddin you will want to use higher octane to be on the safe side and not run lean (or too lean)
after what kind of mods do i need to worry. i really dont plan on doing anything more then exhaust and intake, maybe headers. ive got 87 in the truck now so im going to give the 87 tune a shot. i also do some towing. is towing on the 87 tune with 87 gas bad? its a 21ft boat that weighs in around 5000 lbs. sorry for all the noob questions but id really hate to mess up my truck doing something stupid.

·
Goodbye My Love . . .
1,761 Posts
There has been alot of debates of the greatest minds on this board about using 87 octane with the 87 tune.

Your better off using either the medium 89 or 91+ octane with any superchips setting.

Performance goes down the drains with the 87tune and 87octane, trust me on that.

Right now I am running 87tune with 93octane gas and my gas milage has been moving up, so if your wanting gas, lower your shift points a little and change it to 87tune with 93 tune.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I run the 87 tune with 91 octane gas, along with a different thermostat. Lean is bad!!! LOL

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
From what I've found. If you use the Superchips in the 87 tune, you should run 87 octane. It's a tune that will allow you to save a few pennies at the pump than running the higher priced, recommended 89 octane for our trucks. When you run the Superchips Performance tune, make sure you run 92 or 93 octane, to help prevent detonation from the increased timing that the tune provides you.

·
Registered
696 Posts
HappyHour said:
I run the 87 tune with 91 octane gas, along with a different thermostat. Lean is bad!!! LOL
Just to clear something up that I have seen a bunch of you write, octane is a measurement that represents a fuels resistance to detonation and basically has nothing to do with running lean or rich. Air to fuel ratio is controlled by the ecm and uses inputs such as the o2 sensors and temp sensors to keep it right. Where the confusion is in order to make more power you want to run a little leaner than stock and the temperature in the chamber goes up and you need a higher octane fuel to run leaner without fear of detonation. Same with timing advance.
Also the pros on here have stated that the superchips increases timing and leans a bit even on the 87 setting so at least 89 octane is recomended.
Hopefully my superchips will be here soon :D

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
is towing on the 87 tune bad or will i be fine? i usually tow a jetski or my 21ft boat.

·
Registered
268 Posts
DannyMK2 said:
is towing on the 87 tune bad or will i be fine? i usually tow a jetski or my 21ft boat.
Only if you don't use 91+ octane.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
john_6267 said:
Only if you don't use 91+ octane.
so your saying that i need to put 91 octane on the 87 tune when i tow?

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
Here's the deal. No matter what tune, what mods, what you're towing, pay attention to what your engine is doing. If at any time you get pinging or detonation, either back off or up your octane. When I first started playing with my SC programs I didn't have a full tank of 91 in it and uploaded the Performance program. Running a banzai run with the Dallas DT'ers I got a lot of detonation. With more mods now, I rarely run anything but 91 to 93, no matter the program I upload. Well, it doesn't matter because I only run the Towing and Performance programs anyway.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
I run 91 on my setting and i ran 87, I didn't like the 87 because the get up and go was just not there.I leave my on 91 but I get the 91 to 93 octane gas and that seem to run better for me.Now if I am towing that kind of weight why risk the lack of power and the load that you are putting your nice truck under.I would forget about the saving at the station and go with the one that will give you the torque.Do the towing setting and run the higher octane in it and in the long run you will save your engine and have confidence that your truck can pull that hill or whatever come at you with no problem.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ill probably just load the tow and peroformance and run 91 in it. one more possibly stupid question...if i load superchips and then have to disconnect the battery in the future for whatever reason, will the computer reset itself to stock and leave me with a useless superchips tuner? do i have the bring the computer back to stock, then disconnect the battery? or will it retain the superchips tune?

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
Just for confirmation. I was TDY for six months up in the Seattle area. When I returned to Texas my buddy's wife had told me that the truck was dead. She started it every week or so, but was afraid to drive it ("It's too big, it's too loud," lol), so the battery never really got fully charged and eventually gave up the ghost.

I got back, jump started it, got a new battery in it, and have never had a problem with it. Like said before, it's only the soft codes (the learning parameters) that get erased. The SC program stays.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.