DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally decided to take the plunge and have decided to buy a programmer. They are all around $400 at Xtreme Diesel, so I'm trying to figure out which one I want. I'm leaning towards the Superchips because of the speedometer recalibration feature (I just put 285's on my truck and now my speedo is off by about 3 mph).

I don't want to go crazy, but I'm looking for a little more oomph, and hopefully an increase in MPG (I'm averaging around 13-14 city/hwy combined right now). I'd appreciate any input y'all might have, before I make my final decision.

Let the debate begin.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Any of the 4 chips you are looking at will give you the MPG and the power you want. The superchips in its tow setting has the most power out of all the other chips on their comparable tow settings.

If you want the tire size change, then dont feel bad about getting a superchips. you really cant go wrong with any of the 4 you are looking at. They will all give you more oomph and an increase in MPG.

ive also read the superchips on its performance setting runs 14.6's down the 1/4 which is pretty good for just a box on a stock tranny.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
For me, it mostly boils down to what you want. All of them make good power and really bring the CTD to life. Unless you are going to be racing and trying to squeeze every last HP/TQ drop out of it, you will enjoy any of those you listed.
Downloaders vs Boxes really come down to two things in my opinion:
Ease of installation vs on the fly adjustment.

With the downloaders, you spend 15 minutes downloading and then you get in the truck and drive away. Easy as that. But once you want to change something, you have to stop and re-program it.

With the boxes, it can take as much as 45 min to an hour to install (more if you get one with an egt probe), but once it is on, you can make adjustments at will. I usually drive around on the economy mode of my Edge Juice, but when a ricer or mustang are next to me at a light, I like to turn it up to extreme and let the smoke fly!

Just depends on what you want...

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Agreed
by all means get a module. But if you want to take it to the dealer, removing and replacing a module is time consuming. I do love the adjustability of the juice, but i dont mind the new triple dog being adjustable on the fly.

I just leave my juice on level 5 all the time so i guess the adjustability i dont really need. But yes, the juice/attitude is the thing to buy if you want adjustability right away. A downloader is what you want for ease of removal to go to the dealer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.